Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No buds on my redbud. Help!

Posted by westhighlandblue z6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 13, 06 at 11:26

I planted a 5 or maybe 10 gallon redbud last fall. But it never developed its signature spring flowers. Its currently leafing out heart shaped leaves, but no flowers.

Any idea what went wrong, here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No buds on my redbud. Help!

Maybe a late frost hit it? I know alot of stuff was budding out earlier this year than normal and there was a frost out in the 'burbs (and near-frost in the city) that last week of March. At least the tree is leafing out okay though, so watch to see what happens. You might still have some time for some blooms (I've seen later-blooming redbuds here).

o

The leaves come after the flowers, so don't expect flowers this year. Do you know how old the tree is? My redbuds are just starting to show buds.

o

It is probably a rather young tree. This gives me hope. Hopefully, I'll get buds next spring.

Thanks!

o

My Cercis are all in near full bloom now in southern Chester county. I started with one small seedling about 20 years ago, and now self sown seedlings ring the yard with bloom along all the woods edges.

For pot culture, you might prefer the Chinese redbud to the American one. It stays smaller, and has more and bigger flowers. Generally, it rows in more of a shrub shape, rather than tree form.

George

o

I think it was a couple of years till I got blooms from my redbuds, and I planted approx. the same size. Be patient.

o

Old saying, never more true than with redbuds: first year sleep, second year creep, third year leap! Be patient, your little tree is busy underground forming all the roots it needs to support leaves and flowers. Do not be disappointed if it doesn't bloom next year either. Watch the leaves, if you see any yellowing, or if the veins are darker than the rest of the leaf, it needs chelated minerals. Best available not too expensive, Ironite.

Happy gardening!

o

I started this post, two years ago, and was suprised to see it back "up" this morning. I am happy to report that my once small redbud is actually quite large. It is providing a really wonderful visual break between my side yard and the alley. This Spring it did have more flowers and next Spring I expect quite a few more.

o

Five foot high red bud transplanted last Fall just beginning to show -May 1 Very wet Sp TD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here