Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourbackyard71

Gardens to visit in Pennyslvania

ourbackyard
16 years ago

We will be spending a few days NW of Scranton during Memorial Day weekend. Can anyone suggest gardens/nurseries/places to see while we are visiting your beautiful state? Thank you from South Jersey

Comments (9)

• gerania
    16 years ago

Definitely Greystone Gardens garden center in Clark's Summit. There's a water garden and some nice plantings to see. There's also a gift shop and lunch/tea room. Check their website.

• ourbackyard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you! We will do it! Looks great.

• floragal
    16 years ago

I live NW of Scranton, and a nice place to see is Creekside Gardens in Tunkhannock, PA. They have several water features, statuary, and while not as many plantings as Greystone they definitely hold their own.

Another of my favorites is Gibbs Perennials in Stephensville, PA. It's kind of out-of-the-way but it's in the heart of Amish country and there are some nice places to visit that are non-garden related such as an Amish Store and Amish Cheese "factory" in LeRaysville PA. I don't think they have a website, though. Ha ha!

What kinds of places are you interested in visiting up this way?

• ourbackyard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips. We are looking to get away for a few days and were looking at places in the mountains and then looking to see what was in the area. Since we enjoy gardening, we thought let's look for places that we would like to see, then look for a place to stay nearby! So, I think I'll map these suggestions and then look for a Bed and Breakfast or something in the middle of them. Thanks again.

• caseyv
    16 years ago

The owner of Gibbs Perennials, Joan Gibbs, apparently died not too long ago. The business has been sold and is still in operation though. There is a nice writeup of the history of Gibbs Perennials at the link provided...

Here is a link that might be useful: History of Gibbs Perennials

• gerania
    16 years ago

If you're going to be in the Tunkhannock area, stop by the Endless Mountains Visitors Bureau or visit them online at endlessmountains.org.

If you go into Scranton, swing by Olde Good Things architectural salvage. They have a website too.

• Mike Larkin
    12 years ago

Altough this post is for Gardens near Scranton, has anyone been to Gardens in other parts of the state that are worth mentioning.

I live near Harrisburg and there is a very nice private garden that is open to the public on weekends. It is called Felicita. It is north of Harrisburg, up 322, off the Fishing Creek Valley exit, before you get to Dauphin.
    It is a very large garden including a Italian Garden , Japanese Garden, a conifer hillside garden, and much more.
    The tour of the garden is usually lead by the owner Richard Angino. If you are in the Harrisburg Area, a must see

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• demeron
    12 years ago

I live near H'burg too and will have to check out the Dauphin garden.

In Chesnut Hill (Philadelphia) the Morris Arboretum is delightful.

• kr222
    12 years ago

If you ever make it to southeastern PA, Longwood Gardens in the summer is amazing! Hershey has gardens as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden