Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawncheney

What can I do now?

lawncheney
16 years ago

This is my first year and I know I'm getting a late start... I'm doing some square foot gardening and bought the following seeds:

White onion sets

Radishes

Lettuce, Buttercrunch

Lettuce, Iceberg

Garden Bean, Kentucky Wonder

Canteloupe, Iroquois

Cucumber, Muncher

Watermelon, Sugar Baby

Pea, Alaska

Pumpkin, Jack O' Lantern

There may be more, I haven't decided yet.

What of these should I plant outside ASAP? I'm assuming the onions, radishes, and lettuce. Should I start the rest inside right now, or is it so late that I should just wait and start the seeds outside?

I'm planning on buying my tomato/pepper plants instead of starting them from seed.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• ghoghunter
    16 years ago

Where in Pa are you? It's big state. I live near Philly and I would wait on the melons/cukes and pumpkins until mid May just to be on the safe side. It depends on where you are though if you need to wait until Memorial Day for the tender stuff. You could direct seed or plant the seeds now in little pots of cups and have them start out side if you can protect them if there is a cold spell.

• User
    16 years ago

I would hustle the peas out there, too. I started my beans inside by soaking and them popping them into pots for a few weeks. I live in SE PA, too, and I usually plant on Mother's Day weekend.

I got carried away this week and bought tomato, pepper, and eggplant transplants. I know I am pushing it - but I only spent about three dollars (45 cents per plant), so I will take the gamble. I also bought celery and parsley transplants, and some more potato sets, but I am not worried about putting them out too early.

• lawncheney
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live a bit north of Pittsburgh.

I almost bought some tomato plants yesterday, but thought that it may be better to let them sit on the store's shelf for another week or two than to have me take the risk. I did get several strawberry plants that I'll be putting in.

I only have two 4x4 sfg plots so they'd be easy to cover in case of frost.

I'm just concerned that if I start some of the tender stuff now, they'll still be too young to transplant when the time comes to put them outside.

• ladyslppr
    16 years ago

I would plant onion sets, radishes, lettuce, and peas outside now. The rest are warm-season plants that won't grow much in cool weather even if they don't freeze.

I wouldn't worry about planting tomatoes, peppers, and the warm-season seeds until mid may at least. They want warm soil, which takes a while after the weather turns consistently warm. Planted early, they'll grow slowly if at all.

• lawncheney
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is it too late to start tomatoes and peppers from seed?

• westhighlandblue
    16 years ago

Its not too late to start tomatoes and peppers from seed. I do so every year, at this time, planting three little seeds in each spot at which I hope to raise a plant. I've had great success, year after year. Its so easly that I find myself wondering why people buy tomato or pepper plants.

• suzannie41
    16 years ago

I would love to grow tomato and pepper from seed at this time. where in PA are you westhighlandblue? I am in Chester County, maybe I will plant some seed next weekend and cross my fingers.

• billinpa
    16 years ago

I have grown many thigns from seed but toms always always let me down. I have never had any luck getting them started. I cant even get any volunteers. ?????? beats me.

Bu tI agree with every one else. Although my cuks and squashes were put out Saturday. When he inevitable volunteers start popping up that when I plant. I do keep extra in the house in case of a late freeze or frost.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES