Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scojophoto_gw

Reseeding of Verbena Bonariensis Zone 5b

scojophoto
18 years ago

I've read that Verbena Bonariensis is an invasive plant that will reseed itself readily in the right climate. I've also heard conflicting accounts of how far north it will flourish. My question really is, will the Verbena Bonariensis I planted from potted nursery stock last year be spreading (invasively? moderately? at all?) in my gardens for years to come? As of this posting (April 30th, 2005) there is no sign of them but it's early yet of course. For the record, I hope they do come back! I love em! My place is in North East PA about 30 miles North East of Scranton. Any people living in this zone with V. Bonariensis experience please advise. Thank you!!

Comments (9)

• BETZ17
    18 years ago

Hello! I have had this plant reseed since I purchased my nursery stock about 5 years ago. It does quite well in my pool area which is enclosed and is a microclimate, as it has southern exposure and is protected from the wind. I also have it growing on the north side of my house, in full sun. The plants are just staring to emerge. Don't weed the area until you are able to recognize the plant. If too many come back, give them to a buddy. This year I left some stalks standing and there is healthy growth from these "dead" stems.It is a lovely plant. Enjoy. Oh, I am near Lancaster. B.

• BETZ17
    18 years ago

Yes,I have! They love my evening primroses and butterfly bushes. Awesome what you see in them thar' hills! B.

• scojophoto
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Anyone else having luck with self sowing V. Bonariensis up north in Zone 5?

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

It self sows here too, I'm between Scranton and Wilkes Barre. It doesn't seem to come up in mulched areas, but on bare ground there always seem to be a few.
    I wouldn't call it invasive around here.
    good luck!

• katybird_PA
    18 years ago

I'm a bit south of you in the Poconos and a zone warmer. It self sows abundantly for me though it is really too early yet. They need pretty high temps before they sprout, and then they have long narrow pointy leaves with a rough texture and a dark almost purple cast as seedlings. The hairs on the leaves and stems give me a rash on my arms when I work around them, but I love them dearly and wouldn't be without. Unfortunately they have a tendency to reseed in the cracks and crevices rather than in the garden bed.

• scojophoto
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you ALL very much! I'll keep an eye out for those narrow dark almost purple pointy leaves, and it's good to know it does not seem to run amok this far north. I hope katybird and Kato B get to see one of those cool "Hummingbird Hawk Moths" feeding on your V. Bonar. this summer. Now, lets get that temp. up a little more...

• BETZ17
    18 years ago

Good evening! As I had previously noted, the old stalks from last year have bushy growth and I may leave more standing this winter. WINTER? Did I say the W word????? B.

• Cynthia Warford-Talbot
    8 years ago

hi there!! it also sows here in pontiac michigan!! i was sooo shocked this past spring/summer, when they started popping up all over my property!! i mean EVERYWHERE!!..lol..just love these tiny flowers!!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert