Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asters/Spirea

Posted by boonus z6 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 14:01

I planted a purple aster last fall and cut it back. Will it reappear again like other mums?
Also, I planted a Shirbona Spirea(3colored flowers) a couple of years ago and gave it a rather hearty haircut. It isn't completely dead, but it doesn't have alot of green foliage on it, some branches don't bear any. What can I do to revive it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asters/Spirea

If your asters are like mine (natives) they will come back. They should be poking their little heads out of the earth sometime this month (mine are in a hot and sunny spot and already up and running -- but it would not be unusual for an aster to be dormat, in a less sunny and hot spot), then growing all sumer, and blooming in the fall.

Your Spirea is injured. You should feed it fish emlusion, as often as the packaging on the emulsion allows, and mulch it, and drip water it (put your hose next to it and allow it to drip, drip, drip) overnight whenever it fails to rain for a week or so. Spirea should not really be cut back. If it was just too large for your garden, the better idea is to cut a branches back, let the Spirea recover, and then repeat as necessary. In growing season you might get three gentle trims accomplished, in this fashion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here