Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

trees leafing out S L O W L Y ?

Pipersville_Carol
17 years ago

Will spring ever come? The trees in my neck of the woods (central Bucks County) are still almostly completely bare. I thought this warm weather would really make them explode, but it hasn't happened yet. Only the horse chestnuts have leaves so far.

Are the trees leafing out anywhere in PA yet?

Comments (6)

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

carol, i'm in montgomery county, down 611. i'm noticing things are just starting to pick up. i have two gigantic magnolias on my property and they are almost done dropping the flowers. i did notice very sporadic spots where leaves are starting.

i was noticing some other trees in the area, slows signs of life.

i remember last year waiting and waiting and waiting for one of the trees in my yard to leaf -- never did, it died of some tragic disease.

maryanne

• scrappyjack
    17 years ago

The magnolia's here are just now blooming they look so beautiful! I cant wait to see if my fruit trees bloom. I just planted them last year! I think I might be too eager!

Jackie

• gazania_gw
    17 years ago

I am in Butler County. Many of the trees here were damaged by the hard freeze that came over the Easter weekend and lasted for nearly a week. The trees had been a little ahead of time when that happened due to the warmer that usual March temps. They are recovering now, but seem to be slow in doing so. The Maples are especially slow.

• sweet_blooms
    17 years ago

Hello Carol, I'm from south hills of pittsburgh, and our tree blossoms are just starting to show. They are as you have said........slowly sprouting. Very slowly! I just bought an Eastern Redbud for my backyard and planted it this week. I'm hoping to see the blossoms that are on the tree, sprout within the next couple weeks. They are the prettiest trees I've seen in a long time. I just had to get one!
    Keep your peepers open, cause things will be beautiful real soon. Karen

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Things are finally popping here, whew!

Karen, I've been itching to plant a redbud this year, but couldn't afford one (laid off from work recently). Yesterday I noticed a small tree growing in a corner of the garden where I planted Arbor Day tree seedlings years ago. Turns out it's a perfect beautiful redbud tree, about 6 feet tall! It even had a few little flowers on it. Seemed magical to me. I'm going to transplant it (carefully) one of these days.

• sweet_blooms
    16 years ago

Good Luck to you Carol, the last time I spoke with you I planted my Easter Redbud. That was last week in April. Well, Carol, you should see it now. Just bloomin beautiful! The buds on the tree have almost been spent, and now the leaves are popping out. Love it. I,m very happy with it so far! Yes, you are right about the cost of those trees, I paid $100 for mine at the local nursery. They gave me a 3 yr. guarantee on it. When I get my camera working, I will send you a photo of it. Karen

Sponsored