Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betz17

bishop weed

BETZ17
18 years ago

Having returned home from the Master Gardners plant sale this Am, with many new plants, I was horrified to discover bishop weed had crept in to my shade garden. Last year I removed every plant along my fence row, removed the bishop weed and left the area bare. In the fall,I tossed in wildflower seeds. This area has minor outbreaks of the bishop, but has filled in nicely with daisies,cone flowers,etc. I was out in the rain today cussing this weed as I yet again removed good plants to eradicate. Anyone else dealing with the invasive monster? B.

Comments (14)

• gazania_gw
    18 years ago

Fortunately, I am NOT dealing with it, but my DD is. I warned her 10 years ago, but nooooo she didn't listen. I refuse all divisions from her yard for that reason. :~)

• BETZ17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I discovered waaaaay too late that it came in with some day lilies. What a mess. The var. variety is lethal enough, but the green is awful. Everyone beware of transplants!B.

• AnaB
    18 years ago

I am new to this forum, and read the postings re Bishop's Weed with (morbid) interest. When we bought our current property 3 years ago, it was loaded with it. How is everyone dealing with it?

• Kathy46
    18 years ago

MY MIL has it all over. I won't bring anything from her garden because of it. It's every bit as bad as mint to eradicate.
    My condolances.

Kathy

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

I like bishops weed. And mint. I'm gardening in deer country, though, so my options are limited. Of course, since I actually want the bishops weed to spread, it's pretty well-behaved in my garden and hasn't taken off in the five years I've had it. I wish it would spread faster!

• mwoods
    18 years ago

I'm too busy hacking away at violets to pay much attention to anything else. Good luck with your own battle.

• BETZ17
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I spent 4 hours on my hands and knees in the mud yesterday attempting to eradicate this vile form of plant life. It always attacks my most fertile, loamy soil! I have spent CENTURIES building -up this clay soil. Bishop is so invasive in my neighborhood that it has actually consumed entire plantings of day lilies! I dug as deep as I could, whipped out the roots,put them in a toxic waste(kidding!) bag and moved in some beebalm and mint. They can battle it out. I am pooped! B.

• witsend22
    18 years ago

After reading this post I had to go look up bishops weed and see if it was one of those evil things growing here. Guess I'm lucky there but I have no lawn. I have a violet field. But I'd still like to hunt down and torture the individual who planted the crown vetch on the slope at the edge of the property.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Actually The variegated one has died out of the one bed it was in here. It was killed off by hosta "kabitan". I use kabitan for borders in full sun here, and it grows like a weed, although, in shade, it is a slow grower. This one loves the sun. It turns nearly white, and I have to beat it back each year to keep it within bounds.

George

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

i just planted some bishop's weed that i got from a plant swap. i'm not all that concerned about it spreading, i planted it under the bamboo, so it's got some pretty fierce competition. at last year's swap, i got some mint and planted it, because i like to brew tea with the leaves. i have no idea what happened to it. not only did it not spread, but it completely disappeared. i planted it at the edge of the woodlands so perhaps the native grass choked it. lucky for me, the host of this year's plant swap dug some mint for me, which i planted right under the deck (where it won't be mowed but will get some light), so hopefully it will do better this year.

• nancycon
    18 years ago

Warning !!! I have been trying to eradicate aegapodium aka bishops weed for over10 years. It grows on a neighbor's hillside two doors away. When it blossoms and goes to seed there is no stopping it. It innermingles with my peonies, ferns and primrose. It is extremely invasive and if you think you can contain it you better be thinking of putting it in a concrete bordered bed. When you weed it, it breaks off at the roots which only creates new plants. It is annoying when it appears surrounding a lovely choice periennial and then takes over not only the plant but by the end of summer the bed as well. I would advis everyone not to mix it in your flower beds , you will be vey sad. I have resorted gleefully to chemical warfare to control the evil plant!!!

• drjudithpilla_comcast_net
    15 years ago

I have heard about SBK manufactured by Vitax, manufactured in the UK, to eradicate this weed. Does anyone know of an equivalent here, or has anyone had any luck with any weed killerthat takes care of this?

• mombo
    15 years ago

I keep Bishop's weed and mint in my garden. They are not invasive here and I welcome them both. If they try to take over a spot they get yanked out where I don't want them and then they behave again. Remember, not all of us in Pennsylvania have ideal growing conditions. The bonus with invasives in my area is that deer, rabbits and squirrels don't like them. So I keep an open mind.

• lpales
    15 years ago

We just bought a new house and I have a small amount of the variegated variety on the northeast side of my house in deep shade. It's on the dry side and it hasn't spread at all. After reading all of this, I'm wondering if I should bother trying to remove it? The yard hasn't been maintained in about 3 years when the previous owners moved to their (then) vacation home. They would periodically come to this house to visit. Given the circumstances, the Bishop's weed is really well mannered and it adds a bright spot to the shade. Do you suppose it will spread once it receives more water? I'd like to adjust my sprinkler heads to give more water to that area as I hope to grow some astilbes.

Sponsored