Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mickeddie_gw

How to reduce water running across my lawn?

mickeddie
17 years ago

Hi,

There a swell(or is it a dip?) that runs clear across my back yard. Every time it rains, water rushes through it and dumps into a grate on the side of my property. It will remain swamp land for up to a week after it stops raining. It makes it very diffcult for my kids to play in the yard since they must pass through this mud to get anywhere in the yard.

Is there anything I am allowed to do to lessen the amount of water that travels down this path? I don't think I could level it, because then it would continue to travel right onto my patio. If I plant shrubs on the side of my yard where the water comes from, I will probably tick off my neighbors when they realize the water is staying on their property. I also think it's probably one of those things that becuase there is a grate on the other side, this means that I must keep the swell/dip as is and not interfere with the water's planned path. Is there ANYTHING I can do lessen the swamp in my yard? Someone suggested planting a willow tree that absorbs a lot of the water, but it may take 10 years for it to grow big enough to make a difference. Don't want to wait that long.

Please help!

Thanks,

Michelle

Comments (8)

• wolfe15136
    17 years ago

What about going with it? dig a small trench, line in with plastic and river rock, and make a small stream bed. You could make it level with the lawn for mowing, or plant it with marginal plants (much more fun).

• ladyslppr
    17 years ago

It sounds like the swale through your yard was planned and you are probably not allowed to change the way it accepts water from upstream. However you can improve the way it moves the water. You could create a man-made creek bed like Wolfe15136 suggests. This would move the water more rapidly and, if you line it, not allow the ground to get so marshy. I suspect that even with a lining it would be kinda muddy, but you could place stones to line the edges of the creek and allow the kids to use them as stepping stones over the mud. Flattening the swale is probably going to make things worse by allowing the water to spread out more.

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I might consider a French drain through the area to channel the water to the grate.

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: French Drain

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

I like the idea of lining it with rocks to create a dry stream bed. That could be a very handsome landscape feature. Just be sure to check with your municipality before doing anything. Drainage issues become legal issues very quickly.

The stepping stones are a cute idea, I could see kids having fun with that.

• floragal
    17 years ago

Have you considered a rain garden? You could create a 'saucer' with dug-out soil and plant thirsty plants to soak up the water. We learned a little about these in our garden club recently. Check out the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Gardens

• rosekiller
    16 years ago

A swell might not legally "be" your property in a community. You may need to check before looking further into improvements or the like.

The dry creekbed is a good suggestion. Another suggestion would be: if it is your property (or you can appeal to whatever community authority that it is lessening the use of your property), perhaps having the grate installed higher upstream, and piping the water underground to the location of the current grate would solve the problem.

• ladyslppr
    16 years ago

In general you can change the form of the water conveyance through your property as long as you don't change the way it works at the upstream and downstream ends. That is, you could convert the grass to a man-made stream bed, or convert it too a rain garden, or install a drain beneath it, as long as you don't create a condition where water that used to leave the neighbor's yard starts to back up. Similarly, you can't change the location or the amount of water that leaves your yard. For example, you generally can't reroute the water across your yard and release it to the neighbor's yard at a different location that where it goes now unless the nighbor agrees. However, it could take a different path through your yard as long as it ends up in the same place.

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    16 years ago

We get various magazines at work where they want us to advertise. I just happened to see today that the June issue (yes June...not sure why it's out already but...) of Handy (Handyman?) Magazine has an article on making a dry river bed to help with flooding just like in your case. www.handymanclub.com/

The gist of the article was you dig a wide trench, about 8-12" deep. Lay down a pond liner and fill it with gravel. Then top it off with finer, more decorative gravel and large rocks like you'd expect to see in a dry riverbed.

They had one with a simple little stepping stone bridge across it and with plants and flowers alongside. Was actually a very nice effect.

Jim

Sponsored