Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaderbanger

badger in pa?

vaderbanger
18 years ago

weird road kill between lancaster and berks county border.

and i swear it looked like a badger, but there cant be any badgers around here could there be?

it was the same size, had short stiff hair with a mix of black and white ticking, short stiff tail

hubby said it could have been a ground hog but it just didnt look like a ground hog because of the coloring

any clues on what this animal can be? it was on the highway other wise we would have stopped lol

Comments (16)

• westhighlandblue
    18 years ago

Woodchuck?

• vaderbanger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i looked up woodchuck and yea it does kinda look like that.
    funny woodchuck and groundhog are the same thing but when i look up groundhog i get more of a golden looking animal while woodchuck came up with a more grey coloring.
    if theres no badgers in this neck of the woods then guess it was a woodchuck
    :)

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

I think I remember when I was a young girl that my Dad used to say there was Badgers around PA.

• vaderbanger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

im tempted to go back and look at it again.
    if your father mentioned badgers then its sure possible thats what this critter was.
    i hope he wasnt the last one left lol

• sho0442_cup_edu
    17 years ago

Badgers are a listed species is pa, although only in fayette county, but by your description I would say it was a groundhog.

Here is a link that might be useful: badger ditribution in pa

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

That's a handy link, Jon.

• grootgirl7
    16 years ago

Now, i dont know where you live and where you think that you saw this badger, but i live in Butler County, and I swear that I saw a badger in my backyard one time. No one now believes me and i wish i couldve gotten a picture, and i really want to find out somehow if there couldve been a badger here.

• scrappyjack
    16 years ago

That is really interesting.

There was an armadillo found dead outside of a nursing home over here in Clarion Co.
    They figured it hitched a ride on one of the big rigs coming off of the nearby interstate.

Interesting............ ;)

Jackie

• hardrockkid
    16 years ago

"Badgers? We don' need no steengkeeng badgers!!"

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

• jbest123
    16 years ago

It may have been a Fisher, check out this web page.

Here is a link that might be useful: PA Game Commision

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

I used to live in a very small town called Red Bank just outside of Templeton,right above lock 9,well I know I seen a badger there and so did others.I know what a coon,porcupine,groundhog ect..look like and this was definitely a badger!~Angie

• schrutae41_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have never seen a badger in Pittsburgh Pa
    And I never hope to see one,
    But I can surely tell you friends, I'd rather see than be one.

My friend and I are writing a book on badgers. If you have evidence of an actual badger siteing please send to schruntae41@aol.com

• poaky1
    13 years ago

In Fayette co and never seen a badger.Saw what looked like a wolf about 2 am on a night when the moon was bright.It was about 30 ft away, I didn't stick around long enough to confirm it.If it was a dog it was a big one,the coat had a silvery glow in the moonlight.Scared the crap out of me, but was kinda neat too.

• badasstorino_aol_com
    13 years ago

I seen one crossing the road just before dusk one evening. Kinda through me off.... It indeed was a badger. I saw it on Little Egypt Rd which is Fair Hill, MD this road boarders PA there are lots of fields and woods in this area.Close to Landisville, PA (New London)

• PakaPeke
    12 years ago

I live in Susquehanna County, PA. I definitely saw a badger last night. At first I thought it was a skunk because of the white stripe. But then it didn't look like a skunk. It was gray instead of black & it's tail wasn't as bushy. I wasn't sure what it was but in the back of my mind I was thinking badger but I didn't think they lived around here. So I went online & sure enough the pictures of the American badgers looked exactly like what I saw!

• alcrump_supernet_com
    12 years ago

I trapped an animal today I think is a Badger. I've caught 9 groundhogs this year and this is different. Is it beneficial? I heard in Spain they kill rabbits. I live in Berks co Pa.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert