Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gonna try Sweet Peas for the first time?

Posted by gandj 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 15:59

Never grew Sweet Peas ( don't ever remember seeing anyone else growing it either?). From what I'm reading they're spent when summer heats up. At that point would we remove the plants for composting or would they bloom again in the fall, once it starts cooling down?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gonna try Sweet Peas for the first time?

Trouble is in this region with it's see-saw weather, you may only get a couple feet of vine, without bloom, when a heat wave nukes it. You can still try though, you never know.

I toured the British Embassy in DC a few years ago and the ambassador's wife at that time was insisting that the gardener grow sweet peas, as was her favorite in UK. He accomplished it somehow, I didn't get to ask how. I felt sorry for that gardener.

o

That is one beautiful flower,

o

Last year, I got my peas up at the perfect time, only to be hit by that May heat wave. They were toast. Now, they are an inch high and here comes another heat wave.

It's my favorite crop in my garden. So this is really depressing. Who knew PA was turning into NC....

o

Its been hot..

o

I got them in the ground already. Keeping my fingers crossed...
ltguidetti, you're in PA? What variety/varieties do you grow ( Trying "Melody" for our first time)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here