Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betzross

Philadelphia Area Nurseries

betzross
16 years ago

I'm looking for a nursery in the Philadelphia / Main Line region with a great plant selection AND good prices. I've done a search here, but having some trouble coming up with anything - a search for "nurseries" comes up with nothing which can't be right! Anyway, I'm willing to drive a bit (I understand there are some good places in the Lancaster area) but with the price of gas these days, I'd rather not defeat the purpose of finding a reasonably-priced nursery.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comments (10)

• ghoghunter
    16 years ago

Try Waterloo Gardens on route 30. Address is 136 Lancaster Pike in Devon. It's a wonderful place. They have some other locations too but this is the main one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterloo Gardens

• mrsblackson
    16 years ago

I'm in Delaware County, Upper Darby specifically, and I've found a few good ones. What type of plants are you looking for and how far are you willing to travel?

• suzannie
    16 years ago

Hello,

In my opinion Waterloo Gardens is quite expensive, although I will say they have a huge selection to choose from. I would stick with the Lancaster area if you can. There is a very nice garden center on route 10 in Honeybrook called Willow Brook Nursery. They have lots to choose from and the prices are very good. That's where I get my plants from and I am out of town right now but when I return to PA in May, I will be going there for my plants.

Happy gardening!

Suzanne

• suzannie
    16 years ago

P.S. I do not live in NW FlA any longer. Now in PA.

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

The best nurseries for quality plant at good prices are in Lancaster County.

For annuals, perennials and water plants you can't beat Back Creek Greenhouses. Near Black Creek Greenhouses is Conestoga Nursery. They compliment Black Creek Greenhouses. Conestoga has nursery stock from shrubs to trees. They have unusual stuff as well as the popular plants. Great places, great prices. Both are west of Lancaster between Lancaster and Reading.

Conestoga Nursery - Closed Tuesday & Sunday
    310 Reading Rd, East Earl PA 17519-9964
    717-445-4076
    located on PA 625 1.5 miles north of PA 23 (near Shady Maple)

Black Creek Greenhouses
    211 E Black Creek Rd, East Earl, PA 17519
    717-445-5046
    from Conestoga Nursery go north on PA 625 another 2.2 miles and turn right on Black Creek Road and go .4 miles.

While in the areas, be sure to stop for lunch at:

Shady Maple Smorgasbord
    129 Toddy Dr, East Earl, PA 17519
    717-354-8222
    Shady Maple Smorgasbord is a huge Amish style buffet that is very popular. It is on PA 23 just .5 miles west of PA 625. It is located on top of the hill behind the Shady Maple Farm Market. The combination of the three make a great outing.

This weekend (May 2-3) is the annual Plant Sale at Jenkins Arboretum which is just south of Valley Forge. For more on that see seperate topic: Rhododendron and Azalea Sale near Valley Forge, PA

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Sale at Jenkins Arboretum

• cassidyk
    14 years ago

Rhodyman: The nurseries mentioned in East Earl; do they have house plants as well?

--As far as Waterloo is concerned: I think they aren't that expensive for their quality and selection. You could go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pay less but they aren't that consistent with their stock and quality. Waterloo is a bit more expensive then the chain stores but far less than many of the independent nurseries in the area.
    Cassidy

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

Groff's in Kirkwood, Pa, Lancaster Co. - cheapest perennial is $4.00. Last time I checked at Waterloo, it was $12.00 +/- depending on the perennial. You can get a package of seeds for $4.00 at Waterloo. Their selection of perennials in the Exton store is not very large.

No, when you buy plants as much as I do, it's Lancaster County for me.

• lollaa
    14 years ago

Check out Russell Gardens Wholesale. THey now have a website at http://russellwholesale.com/
    Most plants they sell are $2.80 for 2qt pot, but some are more expensive. They have LOTS of plants, herbs too. The website lists the plants they sell, but without the prices. They give you a price list once you get there. When you drive up to the nursery, make sure to drive into the wholesale entrance, and not into their garden center entrance (it's just a bit farther on the same road). The garden center is nice too, but it has normal retail prices, so you won't save anything there.
    There is a great description of the nursery here: http://www.thegardenlady.org/2007/06/07/tip-a-great-nursery-to-buy-perennial-plants-and-herbs/
    and here:
    http://www.thegardenlady.org/2009/03/03/369/

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden Lady blog post about Russell Wholesale

• olivia001
    13 years ago

Reviving this thread to ask: can anyone shop at the wholesale part of Russell Gardens? You don't have to have a commercial license?

Also, I love Waterloo Gardens. They are a tad on the expensive side, so I can't really stock up the way I want to (have a lot of garden to fill) but what they have seems much better quality to me than what I find at Home Depot.

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

I've shopped at the wholesale part at Russell's, as have some of my co-workers. It's awesome!