Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corgilvr_gw

clematis

corgilvr
17 years ago

FYI

One of the big box stores (I think it's the blue one) has just received some decent sized clematis with a very well developed root system. They are named and seem very healthy.

Comments (9)

• nick_17815_pa
    17 years ago

Prices?
    I got some from them last year, super early for the season. They were like $2.50 and quickly died away when I moved them outside. I tried to get them out slowly after being adapted to inside life, but no luck really. All their leaves fell off then got promising new leaves, and they dropped too. Since they were a failure I was going to make that area a tropical garden with bananas and cannas. A few weeks ago I was about to take out the trellis they were meant to go up, and there they were. Up about 3"-4" :o)
    Guess I should find a few place for my tropical garden

• corgilvr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They were $9.99 in gallon pots. The roots were all the way to the bottom of the pot. I've also purchased the ones in plastic that are sold near the bulbs. They take a couple of years to get established, but are doing well now. Some suggest keeping those in pots for at least a year while they develop a root system.

I'm new to them and have tried a number of varieties and colors. I can't wait to see the yellow if it blooms.

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

I'm dying to head to a big-box store and load up on plants... MUST RESIST...

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

You can't resist Carol. You have to succomb like those of us who already did our first big box store and nursery load-up of the season! LOL

• westhighlandblue
    17 years ago

I went to my local orange big box, on Sunday, intending on purchasing just a few impatients. The big box impatients had withered from a cold snap. So I spent $185 on perenials, bushes, and groundcover, and the remainder of my day sod busting in order to extend the plant bed at my entry way and side yard to accomodate them. DH just raised his eyebrows and said, "Are you going to start installing plant beds in the neighbor's yard when you run out of room here?"

I really wish I had hit the blue big box, too. I could use some clematis.

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

Ack, you guys aren't helping!!!

There's a great garden store at the Quakertown Market... I really am tempted to stop by there on Friday night on the way home from work. There are several large bare areas in my garden that are crying out for shrubs.

Of course, I'd have to take the truck to work that day, to haul the plants home, so this would be a PREMEDITATED budget buster. No blaming it on impulse.

• mwoods
    17 years ago

Pipersville carol..have you gone to Richard's on Brick Tavern road right outside Quakertown? They have the largest selection of perennials anywhere in the area and are also the cheapest.

• corgilvr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I told my husband that this would be a watch and wait year. I wasn't even going to do any annuals.

I have to go pick up that flat of sweet woodruf I ordered. Maybe I could find a spot for another climbing rose to plant with with a variety of clematis I don't have?

I guess I'm now watching and waiting to see what comes in at the nursery!

• nick_17815_pa
    17 years ago

Woo Hoo, Of the three I thought dead (two came up weeks ago) I thought for sure the third one was dead. I think it was one of the first to wither away last year. It was totally bare where it once was and the others are up 6", but today there it was, up 3" :o) Not sure how it got that high w/o me noticing, but who cares, I'm happy :o)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz