Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjdbike

essential PA hummer & butterfly plants?

jjdbike
18 years ago

A question for all fellow PA buttefly & hummer gardeners. What do you consider to be essential butterfly and hummer plants that do well in this state? That is to say, if you could only choose 5 or less plants for a small area and wanted the best plants for attracting, feeding, &/or hosting butterflies & hummers in PA what would you choose?

For hummers, bee balm & honey suckle are my top perenials.

For butterflys, buttefly bush, and milkweed are my top perenials.

I know that this is only scratching the surface,

What would are your absolute favorites that you wouldn't do w/out?

Thanks Much!

JD

Comments (8)

• coriander
    18 years ago

I would probably not use butterfly bushes as in many situations they can become invasive. I like butterfly weed, the native, orange ones and my hummers love trumpet vines. They also love the annual, scarlet runner beans.

coriander

• luvsgrtdanes
    18 years ago

For hummers I wouldn't be without
    monarda
    salvia
    petunia
    impatiens
    cleome

Butterfly:
    cleome
    zinnia
    asclepias
    bronze fennel
    clover

• Mykarma
    18 years ago

I'm enthusiastic about cardinal climber, a darling fast-growing annual vine that my hummers are nuts about.

Trumpet vine is very attractive to hummers, but be careful where you put it. Mine was near flower beds and its shoots were constantly poking up there. They were unsightly and murderous to remove.

• zinnia_PA
    18 years ago

At our weekend house (given to us by a dear aunt), I was going to dig out those annoying Rose of Sharons (treasured by her because our late uncle planted them--she didn't garden) until one weekend when I noticed how many hummers were attracted to them. Now I don't even grumble too much as I pull all the volunteers.

I don't worry about the butterfly bushes being invasive, I have a hard enough time keeping them alive a few years! I have a delicious vanilla scented milkweed which the monarchs loved the first year, but sadly I didn't see any monarchs last year. I hope they return this year.

• blueheron
    18 years ago

Hummers love lobelia cardinalis.

• jjdbike
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all of the replys everyone.
    For anyone who is interested, two members posted great links on another forum that were very helpful. I do not know how to post a link but the NJ Audibon association published a great list of butterfly and hummingbird plants that do well in our area & Hirt's Greenhouse sells many of them for a reasonable price.
    Hope it helps others as it has helped me!
    Thanks again.
    JD

• katybird_PA
    18 years ago

For butterflies, my favorites are Purple Dome Asters, Liatris, and Coneflower.
    For Hummers, Lady in Red Salvia, Honeysuckle, Million Bells and Penstemon

• BETZ17
    18 years ago

Lady in Red salvia is #1 for hummers. My plants have re-seeded the past few years. For hawk moths, one cannot beat evening primrose. It has yellow flowers and literally bursts into bloom at dusk. Each flower lasts one day,but they continue for weeks. It reseeds heavily/wiil try to find botanical name. B.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?