Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How would you design a hillside garden with these plants?

Posted by mrzeigler Z5, SWPA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 16:29

Hi there,

I'm a longtime apartment dweller who is a new, first-time homeowner. More relevant to this discussion, I'm a first-time garden owner, and I'd like to hear your suggestions on designing a hillside garden with these plants. I have my layout narrowed to two designs that I sketched out, but I'm curious what others might think.

The area: It's a hillside that rises above a flat part of my backyard, so it mostly will be admired from afar (i.e. from the patio or pool). It's about 24' wide and about 20' deep (I could go a little deeper, but that would cut into space I plan to use for shrubs or a privacy hedge.) The hillside is at about a 45-degree angle.

I opted for a cool color palette, with purples, blues and pale peach, yellow and pink. Here are the plants I have to work with:

* 3 dianthus itsaul white, 12"
* 3 chrysanthemum clara curtis, 14"
* 1 coreopsis moonlight, 15-18"
* 3 lavendula munstead, 15-18"
* 2 lavendula blue cushion, 16"
* 3 lavendula provence, 24-36"
* 3 echinacea prairie splendor, 24"
* 1 echinacea milkshake, 30"
* 1 echinacea summer sky, 34"
* 1 eryngium sapphire blue, 28"
* 1 baptisia starlight prairieblues, 36-60"
* 3 digitalis purpuea apricot beauty, 48"
* I also have two large batches of shasta daisies and have 5 lime-green hybrid lilly trebbiano bulbs (36-48") that can be incorporated, though I would have no problem using any/all of these elsewhere

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How would you design a hillside garden with these plants?

You didn't give us the orientation of that slope. Is it facing south? The choice of plants will depend on the orientation.

o
RE: How would you design a hillside garden with these plants?

From the choice of plants it looks like you are going for a wildflower hillside look. There will not be a structure to the design since you are not including any bushes between the groups of flowers.

If that is the look you want just plant the tall plants to the back and short plants in front.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here