Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

FINALLY... rain

Pipersville_Carol
18 years ago

We had a torrential downpour last night in Bucks. I got out of bed to see it. What a relief! We need a repeat of that every night for the next week or so.

Prior to the rain, the ground was dry as dust. I spent Saturday and Sunday doing an August-style emergency watering job... ten seconds of hose water on each and every plant. Took forever, but at least I got a good thorough look at what's coming up.

This is the first year I've had to turn on the hose line after the winter and go right into drought mode!

Comments (10)

• radagast
    18 years ago

Agreed! Here in Maryland we got the heavy storms at about 8:00 pm on Monday - thank heavens for the rain!

It rained a bit this morning, too - yeah!

• garden_grammie
    18 years ago

Yipee!!! It rained in Chester County too! I also had to water my shrubs and perenials. I put down my mulch, reseed some bare spots in the lawn and the Lord watered it all in!!!!

• westhighlandblue
    18 years ago

Egad! I may have wasted a lot of water this weekend. I treated each of my trees and shrubs to a through Texas soaking. (Dripping a hose onto a plant for hours.) The hose was on all weekend long.

Could I really have gotten away with a ten second spot of water on each plant?

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yep, I've found that 10 seconds with the hose running about half-blast at the base of a plant will perk it right up (you have to make sure the water soaks in right at the roots, though, no run-off allowed). It's probably a quart or two per plant. That's all I can spare, given the crazy-big size of my garden.

Come to think of it, though, most of the stuff I plant is drought-tolerant. I feel uneasy when I have to water, it always seems like a planning failure to me. I have this rigid idea that established plants should thrive under existing natural conditions. Hmm... maybe I should chill out a little bit!!

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

rain?? pffft!
    we got exactly .12 inches total
    *sigh*

seems like we never get rain, just snow. between 1 and 2 inches this morning.

were it not for bad luck, i wouldn't have any luck at all!

• geoforce
    18 years ago

My total was a flash flood for 5 minutes, and 10 minutes of blizzard. About .1 inch of liquid water total. Didn't wet the ground over 1/2" deep. Useless!!

George

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

Hopefully we will be getting some more rain tomorrow---I hope so.

thanks goodness we have a well.

I've been watering my roses already------

Florence

• nick_17815_pa
    18 years ago

Wow, So much rain tonight. I was actually worried that the torrential downpour was too much for the plants with my gutters overflowing into a couple of my beds. I got out my flashlight after the storm subsided and luckily no damage that I could see. How did everyone else make out? I hope no one got the nickel sized hail they predicted.

• jesup
    18 years ago

In the eastern tip of Chester, we got some rain on Monday. Not a huge amount; not sure as to amount (0.10" so far today though). On Monday, though, we had an 80+' tall, 3 foot diameter poplar 40 feet from the house explode (literally) into splinters - most are less than 1' by 4 inches; biggest around 12' x 1'. (Lightning, of course.) Melted/burned the deer fence for up to 30 feet; blew the cover off the deer gate controller 200 feet away. Even broke our water line 500' from the house (I think a pressure surge due to water turning to steam in the pipe, and it failed at a repair point). Amazingly, basically no damage to the house other than blown electronics and a few divots in the shingles (repaired already).

• chescobob
    18 years ago

We had some rain earlier this week out here with the moo-cows, eagles, hawks, vultures, etc., in western Chester County.

Today we are getting a perfect steady moderate rain. Can't beat this. I hope it stays cloudy overnight so it does not go below freezing tonight. I have most my pelagorium (geranium) out. It looks like it may last most of today.

Sponsored