Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Road Barrier Plants

Posted by damrob z5 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 05 at 16:50

I have a 7' strip in front of my house at the top of a stone wall that I would like to plant something that would grow:

* Tall enough to serve as a dirt/noise/privacy barrier
* Robust enough to handle periodic doses of road salt
* Grow to a finite width so I don't have to worry about trimming the side that faces the road in years to come (trimming on the house side, although not desired, would be tolerated if I had to plant in a way that gave me more room on the road side).
* Something that would keep its green all year, so it would have the same function during the winter as it does the rest of the year (we live in Northeastern PA).
* Have a taproot, so my wall doesn't get damaged as the plants grow.

I was thinking about green giant cedars, but was fearful that they would get too big to serve my purpose.

Any suggestions? We are novices, but do have some experience, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Road Barrier Plants

Thuja, the white cedars socalled. Wonderful for these type spots and often used as hedges, Many of the estates in SE Pa and Northern Del have these and they grow well even into moderate shade.

I really love the aromatic odor and their texture. They don't have taproots, but form small, tightly compact root balls. There is a new one on the market ('Green Giant') which is said to grow 4ft in a year.

George

Here is a link that might be useful: Thuja

o
RE: Road Barrier Plants

Sea Oats are great decorative grass, spread quickly to cover unsightly objects, are salt tolerent for those in the East who live along roads that are treated with salt in the winter. Dried, they make nice addition to dried flower arrangement.I have lots, if you want to trade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here