Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy__gw

I will not plant annuals yet, I will not plant annuals yet

kathy_
19 years ago

But it certainly is tempting! I have lots of stuff I would like to get off my windowsill. Come on Mother's day!

Kathy

Comments (11)

• nick_17815_pa
    19 years ago

*grins* I have the same exact feeling. I must admit I did plant a few extra plants that I had overpropagated like a goldfish plant and a begonia. I was even tempted to put out a tomato plant or two, but resorted to just sowing some seed outside. I had plenty seed....the ground is most likely too cold to germinate....and if it does frost will get it, but what the heck, it makes me feel like I'm gardening.
    I'm just glad everything is bursting into bloom :o)

Loving The Sun, Waiting For A Little Rain
    ~Nick

• gardenguy_
    19 years ago

Cold weather and snow is a serious disease which must be cured in Pa. It's very sad to think that this Sunday the 23rd it may snow. It if makes you feel any better, during that time, it will be warmer in Boston. I guess that's gayslyvania for us.

• witsend22
    19 years ago

Toooo Lateeee! As usual I have jumped the gun and dumped all kinds of annual seed packets out there and have tiny tender little plants sprouting all over. But I know a few will survive and become stronger early starts, and seeds to start over a cheep enough.

Where oh where am I going to put all those monster geraniums I still have potted up, and all the potted items I have coming up. I lost all my "in the house" window space to a visiting two year old who thinks all indoor flower pots are her personal planting area. She has repotted so many things. If only I had half her speed I'd have all my work done around here in just a day or so. lol so all I have left is the tiny refuge space in the basement.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

LOL wits! I almost know how you feel. I have a bunch of seeds that I started a couple weeks ago, but fortunately most are still on their seed leaves but will eventually need to be potted up. Fortunately (or unfortunately), they are all inside, but there is not enough room. Something has to give!

• skippy05
    19 years ago

SNOW!!!???
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

skippy - not where we live but in the higher elevations of PA north and over on the western side of the state.

Think positive... think positive... think positive.... :-p

• Sledder
    19 years ago

I'm on that "western side" of the state and they're saying snowshowers tomorrow night AND Sunday. Low of 29 Sunday night. Lows in the 30's all next week too. Anyone have some more sheets I can borrow? Dogwood, azaleas, mountain lauren, rhody, coral bells, lilac, etc etc. Not to mention all the seedlings in my unheated greenhouse. It's depressing.

• kathy_
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Gasp - my lilacs are on the verge of opening! It surely is "cold" out there today - yuck.
    If you need to get your plants out of the reach of cats or kids just take a tension curtain rod (the little round ones) and put them on the top of your bottom window (opening windows only) so you can sit pots or bread pans on the window "ledge". The curtain rod keeps the pots or pans from pitching forward. I have 17 plants in cups and 2 bread pans on 4 windows. No guarantee the little chickadees won't throw something and knock them down though.

• wolfe15136
    19 years ago

I'll loose the peaches apples and cherries. Dammit.

• bulbs
    19 years ago

I've already planted a few annual seedlings - they were winter sowed - and I hope they survive. Main problem was the heat spell we just went through! Needed to be watered constantly - and with working, just can't do it all the time!

• naturenut_pa
    19 years ago

i've planted over 50 of my seedlings that i started back in january and february. some have buds already.
    good thing i have a lot of old newspaper...i had heard that you can protect small plants with layers of newspaper..has anybody else ever heard or tried this?
    if not, no big deal..i'll use old sheets and towels. besides, i have some in reserve because i haven't had time to plant them.

even if it is supposed to get cold and i have to make this extra effort...i still have no regrets. i was outside for quite a few days planting, and enjoyed every minute of it. heck, i don't even mind the sunburn that covered my back :-)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH