Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissas_gw

Plans for this lovely weekend?

melissas
16 years ago

I'm just curious as to what everyone will be doing in the garden this weekend? It's the first nice one we've had in a while. I am going to be spreading mulch. How about you?

Comments (12)

• wolfwalker
    16 years ago

melissas,I will be moving soil from a old raised bed to a new bed.monday hope to plant onions and maybe replant my greens bed its no looking to good.

• ninamora
    16 years ago

I've already spent the past two days in the garden. Planting, pulling, moving, spreading. I plan to keep right on going, until every little space is taken care of.
    nina

• chescobob
    16 years ago

Today, I began cutting out a garden for my last terrace in back. The terrace is about 20' wide and 10' long. The gardens are 22" from the wooden structure of the terrace. In the middle, I have cut out a circular garden to surround the new birdbath. I have 12 miniature roses to plant to start.

After that, I'm thinking of buying 1 "Red Winter" and 1 "Southern Gentleman" Winterberry tomorrow for my final garden--it is 45' by 13'. I have to check to see how they would fit first since I want flowers there too. I will plant those next week.

From Sunday to Tuesday, I will finish pruning my roses, fertilize them, and be ready for the rain on Wednesday.

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

i've been planting and cleaning up beds, "scratching" the soil, moving some things around and my biggest job so far is repairing a wall. i considered on many occasions to have it chopped out and rebuilt, since it's in the front of the house, but i decided instead to recycle some of the hundreds of rocks i've dug up over the years and repair and rebuild it myself. i must say, i stood back and gave myself a pat on the back too! not too bad for a girl LOL

this weather is unbelievable isn't it? snow one week, torrential rains the next and now all the windows open.

maryanne

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Yes very strange weather. I had more things sprout in the last two days than I did in the last two weeks. It was all just waiting for the warmth and sun! The down side is that the snowdrops are now over. They didn't mind the snow and ice, but the sunshine encouraged them to set seed and call it a year.
    I lugged a couple old railroad ties to the back of the yard to save for a future compost area..... 6 ties dragged uphill. It just about killed me. But then although I was about worn out, I forced myself to rake out the last flower beds and rake off the lawn. It finally looks like spring around here and I'm pleased!
    Now if only some daffodils would open.

Next plan (probably not today) will be to finish clearing out where the new deck will go. There are a bunch of tiny plants that have to be found and dug up and moved. Sometimes I think it would be easier to just dig them under but I just can't think that way! The wood was delivered yesterday so the deck is the next thing on the list.

• johnb_17756
    16 years ago

Hello to all you PaFarmers, I am new to this site but not gardening, just getting back into it after 15 years or so.

Live in the town of Muncy if anyone is close by speak up!

Yesterday I visited the local Sears and they were having a sale as usual, the wife spotted a tiller in a mismarked carton priced $100 less than it should have been and twisted my arm to get it, now along with the rest of the HoneyDoList I get to start a new garden this year.

Plans for this weekend, ha ha guess where I will be since she also got 5 gallons of gas for the tiller, sure won't be on the boat fishin!

John

• chescobob
    16 years ago

I'm about ready to go out and plant the roses and geraniums in the garden. I had a glass of wine for lunch and am trying to convince myself not to take the bottle out with me. If I do, I might be camping out in the yard or woods tonight.

• wolfwalker
    16 years ago

I had a very nice weekend hauled compost,mushroom soil and soil to the new 4 x 16 ft. bed. couldn't finish because the soil toward the bottom of the old bed was a little to damp..one hours work in the morning will finish the bed. after the bed is complete I'm building a row cover over it .hope everyone had a great weekend.

• floragal
    16 years ago

Saturday was Earth Day, so I spent the day cleaning up around Bowman's Creek - sounds so altruistic unless you're aware that its in my backyard. Hehe. Really, we brought up 3 large Hefty bags of trash off the banks - none of it ours. I decided to rake down all the leaves off the bank, which is quite steep, until I fell and rolled down the blasted thing twice! I gave up. All in all, I could think of worse ways to spend a Saturday.
    Around here Sunday is a day of rest, so we lounged all day and enjoyed Saturday's efforts. Life is good!

• wolfwalker
    16 years ago

floragal,, Sunday is a day of rest here also but being retired everyday is a weekend lol

• floragal
    16 years ago

wolfwalker - I'm so jealous! I have a friend who retired last year. I made her a calendar; instead of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.... I labeled the days Saturday, Saturday, Saturday... She loved it!

Meanwhile I'm stuck inside all day today :-(

• wolfwalker
    16 years ago

floragal ,,,thanks but what it really means is I'm older..lol ,,i like your calendar idea.being a gardner and retired is great.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?