Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 6b- When to put tomatoes outside?

Posted by kr222 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 17:37

I'm in zone 6b. I was wondering when I should be planting my tomatoes outside. When are you planting yours?
Thanks.
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 6b- When to put tomatoes outside?

Not until mid May. Tomatoes don't like cold, so the soil needs to be warm. May frosts are rare, but can occur. Just keep on eye on the weather forecasts.

o

The tradition is Memorial Day (that was original Memorial Day, May 30). Our official last frost is May 15, but we pretty much never have frost that late. But we can have very unsettled cool weather in May, and sometimes even into June. Tomato plants hate cold weather, so you plant them in very late May, but if it's chilly and rainy, you can wait longer.
Lots of times there is beautiful weather in mid-May, and the garden centers are full of people buying all their tender annuals. They plant them and then and it's miserable and cold.

o

I put mine in around the first week of May. I start them from seeds so I try to harden them off before planting.

o

York is South of Reeser's Summit.

If you are North of Reesers Summit, wait a bit longer than Julie. You will not be sorry.

o

• Posted by senko 6b ePA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 15:05

I put in first week of May and if there is a danger of frost just cover them with a plastic sheet for the night. Of course you can wait till mid May to be sure,but I like to get it going.

o

Soil temp. is more important. If they're put in soil that is not warm enough they'll just sit and sulk. This is why tomato plants can last all the way til frost, sometimes mid-November here.

o

We've always used Mother's Day as the yardstick, which is pretty much mid-May.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here