Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which plants exceeded your shade expectations?

Posted by mgood4u z6-PA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 18:50

I about to put in a shady garden area. I know what plants do well in shade but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of part sun/full that have done really in shade. I have heard Rudbeckias do well in shade as well as Nasturiums. True for anyone? Suggestions please! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which plants exceeded your shade expectations?

dawn, my nasturtiums went hog-wild last season. i planted in several areas and the ones in teh partial was almost to the point of out of control but put on a stunning display. i am working on an area in the rear of my yard that is in between two very large trees and requires some shade-loving plants. nasturtium will definitely go there.

i don't have much there now - hosta, native/ditch lilies (which for some reason stay contained), a few spring bulb plants/flowers, BES, and sedum, so it's a real experiment for me as well to get this area over and done with once and for all. it's a real problematic area that i didn't use my head when considering it.

maryanne/earthly

o

I had good luck with Bishop's Goutweed (Aegopodium podagraria), especially in dry shade.

But most people consider it an invasive nuisance plant, so I'm hesitant to mention it.

o

Liriope and dianthus have done well for me at the edge of my shade garden. They receive some direct sunlight but mostly dappled throughout the day. I also have some monarda doing well there. Maybe some people already think of these as "shade" plants but they aren't not what I think of as typical. Most of my shade plants are hostas, heucheras, columbine, ferns, primula...etc, all the regulars. But my absolute favorite shade garden plant is Celandine poppy aka wood poppy. The bright yellow flowers really stand out in a shady area.

~Gillian

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Poppy

o

carol , it's funny you mention bishop's weed. i got it in a swap last year, it's variegated and pretty and grows low to the ground. i have it in a front bed that gets full sun. a few months after planting it there was this big controversy over it being invasive, but mine is so contained. i debated the other day of taking it out and putting it elsewhere, but wasn't sure where. i have a very shady problem area that i could put it in. thanks for that advise.

maryanne/earthly

o

I have lamium growing in a mostly shade bed and it is wonderful! Silver and green foliage with lovely pinkish purple blooms.

I also have some daylilys that are growing in partial shade and seem to be doing okay. Not as many blooms as the counterparts in full sun, but well enough that I am leaving them.

Alexa

o

Astilbe, lungwort, hellebores do well for me. Sadly, my foxglove died out after 3 years of self-seeding.

o

Turk's cap lily (Lilium superbum; orange) does well for me in a spot that gets only a couple of hours of sun. I just picked up soime Lilium speciosum (pink and white) bulbs, and it looks like they'll do well in partial shade, too.

Some lesser-known plants that should do well in partial shade: Doronicum oreintale (perennial; yellow daisy flowers) and Dracocephalum moldavica (annual; blue tubular flowers).

o

Dicentra, some peonies (especially if they're on the edge of the shade), many of the lilies including the asiatics and orientals.

o

I second dicentra, particularly D. 'Bountiful (Zestful).'

A recent favorite is Corydalis Cheilanthifolia (fernleaf corydalis). This plant could easily be mistaken for a fern, except that it flowers. Blossoms are usually yellow, but apparently can be blue. The true species has a bronze tint to the folliage, not a blue cast. This plant also self seeds, and now grows in several shady spots in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good picture, little info.

o

Hypercium (St. John's Wort) is a favorite of mine. Its yellow flowers are a sunny surprise in a shade garden.

o

I've had really amazing results from the Bleeding Heart I placed in the shade. I have 5 that were all bought at the same time. The one that gets a bit of morning sun and shade teh rest of the day is huge. It is close to 4' tall and about 3' in diameter. The ones that get morning shade and afternoon sun are only about 12-18" tall and maybe 12" across. The one that gets late morning sun and early afternoon sun is halfway between the others.

Writing this I am wondering why I don't just move them all into the morning sun area. hmmm...

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here