Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_17815_pa

So who started with PA veggie garden?

nick_17815_pa
17 years ago

This year I decided against starting any plants indoors like I usually do. Just not enough space anymore to Accommodate all the little pots. I'm just going to buy my tomatoes and peppers already grown. I have done a little planting and prepping though. I've fluffed up my raised bed which is mainly mushroom compost. I have garlic and onions planted in there. I've tilled my veggie garden, 25' by 25' a couple times. Yesterday my wife helped me plant a couple rows of peas. I bought some potatoes to plant too. I'll wait a few weeks to plant them. They usually do good for me to plant early, don't seem to be hurt too bad by some frost burn. How far along is everyone else?

Comments (13)

• ladyslppr
    17 years ago

I've turned over a lot of beds, added compost, etc., but the only plants in the ground are spinach and radish seeds. They have both been there for almost two weeks with no sign of emergence. I bought broccoli plants and onion plants, but they are waiting inside for better weather. I have been planting fruit trees, but they are bare, so cold shouldn't hurt them.

• wolfe15136
    17 years ago

I planted peas almost 3 weeks ago. Nothing showing yet. I may have to replant. The cold spell destroyed the peach and nectarine blossoms. I'm not sure about the apples. We shall see.

• novelist
    17 years ago

I have thirty feet of peas and about eighty feet of various lettuce crops in ground. This weekend I'm putting in a bunch of hexagon shaped tunnels up (about 4-feet high) and I'll start moving tomatoes out of the greenhouse into the hex-hoops toward the end of the month. I have several hundred tomatoe seedlings in the greenhouse and I need to get them outside soon. I plan to put some out every weekend between the end of April and the end of May.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    17 years ago

heh heh. I have five little pots of tomatoes started. I might fill one of the planters with lettuce.. no hundreds of plants here (I'm a bit jealous!)
    Oh wait! I also planted out some garlic cloves that were sprouting in the fridge. The 20 degree weather nipped a few of the tops but they should be ok.
    I'd like to finally rake out the beds this weekend and clean off the lawn... I hope Sunday's snow doesn't screw up my plans.

• nick_17815_pa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did a little more veggie garden stuff this week. I had a lot of monarda growing in the corner, so I moved them to a flower bed. Then I moved all my strawberries that had let their runners go everywhere from the middle of the garden to the edges. I think I might till up that part tomorrow, but first I'll have to move the mint and horseradish. I made the mistake of letting the mint take over too much of my garden, and I'm going to attempt to confine it to a different part toward the edge. I also tilled up my horseradish by accident two years ago....and because of that its growing everywhere...I should take care of that.

• scrappyjack
    17 years ago

Peach and nectarine blossoms!!!

All I have growing right now is chives. They're pretty tough through all of this snow and frost.

My peach tree is not even budded out yet! What a difference between the zones!

I can't wait to till. Soon, soon, very soon we'll be down in the dirt. :0

Jackie

• ninamora
    17 years ago

We spent every cold moment, except when it was raining, weeding, tilling, adding top soil, and mulching all our garden areas these past few weeks. It's all ready to fill, but soooo coollldddd!!! I have garlic and chives and brocoli planted, I have tomato plants in my greenhouse, 12' x 14' that have flower buds. I grow heirlooms. I also have tons of annual flowers ready to harden off, but darn this weather again. We even spent all day Saturday digging up the old mailbox bed and getting rid of the million or so orange daylilies. We put in a new mailbox to replace the one the squirrels had decided to chew on after 12 years. Hubby picked out a mailbox with a lighthouse, solar powered, on top. What a hoot.
    Happy gardening,
    Nina

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

I've turned over soil, but haven't gotten anything into the ground yet. It's too cold!

• nick_17815_pa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I HAVE A NEW DILEMMA!
    If you've read the earlier post my garden is just about ready to plant as far as tilling and prep goes. Well I may be moving in the beginning of June.... So I'd have to quickly setup a veggie garden and a lot of temp gardens to move my perrenials and bulbs. I'd spend the summer preping gardens and Then over the fall season I'd move them...
    Sure seems like a lot of work...and a rush to put in a veggie garden this year....Move is only 20-25minutes away...

• scrappyjack
    16 years ago

Finally got the garden turned over on Tues. But I havent been able to plant it yet because of the rain.
    How're you early planters doing? Are the peas coming up yet?
    Jackie

• busylizzy
    16 years ago

I thought I would have the onions and garlic in by now, but , nope.
    I am redesigning the chain linked fenced veggie garden for raised beds and expanding the outside perimeter of the chainlink for trellis of pole beans and some squashes.
    The cheddar cauliflower, pruple broccoli, fairtale eggplant and heirloom maters are happy right now under the lights.

• peskymac
    16 years ago

I planted my asparagus crowns last weekend, and I'm currently digging the bed out for potatoes - I'll probably plant those in a week or two. My garlic has been in the ground all Winter and I'll probably be ready to dig it up in a month or so.

My tomato plants just shipped yesterday. I'll probably plant a few in Wall o Waters and leave the rest in the house under lights until mid-May. I'll plant peas this weekend, and wait a few weeks to plant the pole beans and limas. Herbs will go in this weekend maybe.

My chives never died back over the Winter, so they are humongous! Last weekend I thinned out the strawberry patch, and I'll probably weed the rest of the garden this weekend and dig some compost and manure into the beds.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    16 years ago

We have planted so far a second row of asparagus, rhubarb, potatoes, peas,onions, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, asparagus, spinach, radishes and turnips, rutabaga and other greens to go. Mostly the ground was ready to go from last years efforts--just adding compost toppers and rotating the crops once all was dried out enough to plant. Plenty more digging to do for the things that have to wait after the frost date though!!

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company