Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhubarb

Posted by jimmy56 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 21:44

I dug up my rhubarb so I could till the soil then I put it back in the tilled ground, My question is since I just tilled the soil and put the rhubarb back where it was can I still use the rhubarb this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhubarb

I wouldn't have dug it up now I would have waited till out of season,I think you can, I did already you probably wont get much this year.

o

Thanks for the reply bulldinkie, I was always told when you first plant rhubarb not to eat it the first year but I thought since mine is 4 years old it wouldn't matter.

o

As an aside, tilling has become passe as the process turns up millions of dormant weed seeds which will germinate. I would just shovel prune the main plant, and mulch disturbed areas well afterward.

" Established clumps will have to be trimmed every 4 to 5 years or when the stalks get small and spindly or when the crown is visibly crowded. This will help the plant to keep growing nice thick stems. This is done by digging around and trimming the crown down to 4 or 5 buds. You can also use this opportunity to divide your plant into more plants. You may encounter is rot in the crowns from excessive water in the crown area. If so, destroy these plants. "

Here is a link that might be useful: rhubarb

o

Minehas been in the ground 15 years I never removed that plant don't need to divide.
That's what I was thinking being theplant is older.Youll getsomebut I doubt a lot.I might be wrong,youll find out.lol
Mine are in raised beds,,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here