Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsanva_gw

evergreen hedge

bsanva
13 years ago

I would like to plant a privacy hedge between properties. However there are many factors which make me think many hedges won't work.

First, I am trying to appease a neighbor living downhill from me. I would like to keep my view, while giving him enough privacy that he doesn't plant trees which grow too high. So I would like them to max out at 20 to 25'.

Second, the development has a drainage system in place to keep our rain water from pooling or damaging houses downhill. When they did this, they made a 15-20' wide line of fill to separate developments. I want to plant on this fill. Currently it is primarily honeysuckle brush. Many deciduous trees grow there, but they all die about the time they reach mature height. I guess what I am saying is that that the soil is not ideal. The soil is probably on the damp side, but certainly not saturated.

Third, there are deer and they are hungry!

Four, I am on top of a small mountain/big hill. There is really nothing to block the wind. This isn't a minor issue. This is a significant wind which kills many plants.

I have probably 15 feet of area to work with between my neighbor and I, so no issue there. And it would be full sun. Zone 5. What are my choices for an evergreen shrub which is dense enough to appease a neighbor intent on planting tall trees. Either peaks at 20-25' or is easily trimmed back to that size. Grows in less than ideal soil (Many large rocks), and is deer and wind resistant.

Thanks for any input

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals