Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

Anyone have blue prints to built an ark?

earthlydelights
17 years ago

is this rain unbelieveable or what?

early this morning i was out there pulling up iris that were in a pool of water and then filling in spots with more dirt (what a waste of time) and trying my best to save what i thought was drowning.

it hasn't stopped yet and looks like it won't until sometime tomorrow.

how are things going in your neck of the woods?

maryanne

Comments (13)

• chescobob
    17 years ago

Everything here is a mess. I still have to finish pruning roses and feeding them. There are 12 more roses in the garage and the planned bed is mud and weeds. I have geraniums in the garage that I wintered inside and cannot put them out in pots in 40+ mph winds.

I was looking at the weather map a few moments ago and you can see the nor'easter getting wound up now. From now until Tuesday, I expect winds over 50 mph out here. You can hear it roaring through the woods now and we are only having a breeze--maybe 30 or 35 mph gusts. All bets are off until the wind stops and I can assess any damage.

It does look like it will start getting nice on Friday. Hope to get there in one piece.

I hope everyone survives without any damage.

• nick_17815_pa
    17 years ago

Yeah my mom was complaining about really bad rains too. Luckily up here we only got some heavy rain last night and today it was just raining enough to be a nuisance. I hope it dries up quickly for everyone, and warms up so we can get back to gardening!

• parad0x
    17 years ago

Basement has been flooding since sat. at midnight...as long as I'm on top of of it like a hawk literally twice an hour with towels and a shop-vac, tryng to keep it contained to one area....can't assess the damage yet...tho so far hopefully is minimal....

::sigh:: damn whacky weather this year...not 1 sunny day in april yet!

Been saying anywhere from 3-6 inches....pretty sure we're at the very high end of that...w/more coming as we speak...

Todd In Philly

• Patriz
    17 years ago

Well, after brushing off heavy slush from my car this morning and driving through snow!...I think perhaps that Spring, Summer, and Fall have decided not to stick around. Did we go back to winter? I had my heat on and fireplace roaring last night. I was starting to harden off some plants, but they had to come back in for awhile. My zinnias and melampodium are blooming, yikes! My plan was to harden things off early so that I could have more room under my shoplights to thin out and nurture seedlings for a plant sale in May. The plan went down the tubes and I now am forced to rotate flats under the lights.......ugh.

I did visit Greensgrow Farms (http://www.greensgrow.org) briefly the other day since I was in the area. It looked so primed for spring and was a refreshing visit. Those little plants are sure going to have to tough it out this week. I was surprised at the extensive variety of plants they are growing for sale. Kuddos to them!

Maybe we'll all thaw out by the end of this week and start to enjoy some sort of spring season.

• chescobob
    17 years ago

If this wind doesn't stop by tomorrow, you will see me running up and down Route 1, waving my arms and screaming. It sounds like there has been a freight train circling the house since last night.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    17 years ago

Hey wait a minute! You guys have rain!!??? It's been snowing here all day! I just went out and brushed about 7 inches of really heavy snow off the car. All the evergreens are splayed and bent due to the heavy white stuff that's stuck to everything.
    Yuck.
    At least we have power and there's no flooding here. That's a real good thing.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well, i did wake up to snow this morning, but then i guess there was some more rain, because there is no sign of snow. my big magnolia tree lost some branches and my gate trellis/arbor made it across the backyard and that was really fastened down (so i thought). all my winter sow containers were a mess. i have my work cut out for me tomorrow.

my downspouts were backing up, so i had to make a new path for the water to flow. thank God the next door neighbors on that side are decent, because i had to let it flow down their driveway after cutting into the dirt.

you never know from one day to the next with the weather anymore. i keep thinking that the veggie garden will go later and i'll be eating fresh tomatoes into october or november..pushing it at december, so that's a plus.

march - in like a lion, out like a lamb
    april - april showers make may flowers
    may ???? scares me to think about it

dicentra, i was to greensgrow last year. i love that it's in the heart of where you don't expect it and that they have so much to offer. by the way, where is your plant sale at the FCF?

todd, hope you don't sustain too much damage.

bob, you're doing pretty good if you only have 12 left to plant. didn't you order like 30 or something?

stay dry everyone.
    maryanne

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Good MOrning Everyone!

I hope everyone survived the storm without too much damage. No problems for me here in Bucks, just a little snow and a lot of rain and wind, and my trees are all still standing. It certainly is going to be a little while before the ground dries out enough to work though, it is saturated!

I am headed out to buy Round-up, Osmocote, Rosetone and Liquid Fence a little later today. I think I will cruise the nursery dept at the local box stores and scrounge for bargains. I bet they are in a worls of hurt with the bad weather and have tons of stuff reduced already.

Take care and check in to let everyone know that you and your garden survived the storm!

Alexa

• jeannek_NEPA
    17 years ago

Kato,
    We had a maybe an inch here, some slush on the street and nothing on the ground this morning. Channel 16 was showing pictures last night. Wapwallopen - nothing, Bear Creek - 18". Nuts!

Elevations got slammed, it seems.

Jeanne

• chescobob
    17 years ago

Oh my. Oh my, oh my. Everyone to the east of Oxford, PA. There will be a peek of sunshine soon. Yes, I actually saw it. It was yellowish and it jogged my memory.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    17 years ago

I got a glimpse of it too. At about 6:10 the sun peaked out for about a minute. By the time I realized what was going on it was gone. I hope to see it again soon..... hopefully before June.

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

Whoa, sounds like I missed some really nasty weather last week. I was in Venice (Italy). It was, oh, about 75 degrees there every day, with bright sunshine and brilliant blue skies, a slight breeze dancing in from the Adriatic to cool things off. I even got a little bit of a suntan.

For once I timed a vacation correctly!

• Patriz
    17 years ago

I really did see a glimpse of that brilliant blue sky today, but thick gray clouds decided to dance on in and continue to miserably cool things off. I thought I caught a bit of an Atlantic Ocean breeze, though...all 50 degrees of it.
    Carol...I'm glad that someone here had a naturally warm time last week...lol. Welcome back :)

Sponsored