Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to cover plants? I killed them last time.

Posted by scully931 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 23:00

Hi,

After 78 degree weather today as you all have heard, it's going to snow this weekend. Our temps are supposed to be around 25 at night and 35 during the day for about a three day stretch. All the plants I ordered have arrived and are in the ground. I tried to cover my little banana tree when we got cold temperatures about a week ago and it died overnight. I was going to use a big sheet of plastic weighed down with a few stones. Is that a good way? Also, since it will be cold during the day - take it off or not? My plants look so healthy, I'm afraid of losing them all. Thank you for any help!

~Deb =-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to cover plants? I killed them last time.

I always heard no plastic.If you dont get it off right away and sun comes out.I hearsd burlap,Ive used bigger pots,boxes,you can also pull milch up around them if theyre smaller.,sheets,

o

White cotton sheets are the best. Once the sheet gets wet, its effectiveness gets compromised. All attemps should be made to dry it out after the rain stops before using it again.

White plastic can be used if it is removed and dried out each day. Never use clear or black plastic. That is what you use to make a solar oven and kill everything.

o

I had my plastic all set up to go tonight. I had an inkling it wasn't a good idea, but after reading your comments, I just covered everything with pots and empty window boxes. Should I uncover them during the days when it is in the mid-high thirties or just let them covered? It is supposed to get warmer again starting Monday. Thanks for any additional advice! I appreciate it!

o

Uncover during the day.It is alot of work but if you want the flowers......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here