Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brandywine tomato question ?

Posted by wild_by_nature z5a/b ne.PA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 05 at 23:07

Hi everyone,
All of the var.of tomatoes that I've started from seed are doing well and have 2-3 set of leaves w/ the exception of my Brandywines. The germ.rate was around 30%, and out of those not one looks like it will ammount to anything. So my question is, does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a few heirloom
brandywine plants (greenhouse,nursery,plantstand) in
Luzerne county. In a radius of W-B,Hazleton,Berwick,
Wyoming valley.
My best looking upstarts are 'delicious','yel pear'
'super marmande'and 'jubilee'.
I would appreciate any ideas, wbn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brandywine tomato question ?

If there are any Amish garden centers in your area they will probably have them. I think I even saw them at Wal-Mart last year (as plants). I got seeds to plant also of the pink and the red. I better get a move on. We still get frost here in late May so I still have time.
Jane

o

I am surprised by your poor germination rates with Brandywine tomatoes. That is one of my main varieties (for the FLAVOR ! )I would try a different seed supplier. Also I have direct seeded Brandywines and have had good results,so you still have time. My last average frost date is the middle of may. Good luck

o

Jane,I wish we did have an Amish or
M'Nite plant/veggie stand around this
part of NEPA. They have some great places in the southern tier.

And yes Jesse,If I did restart the
seed it's amazing how quickly the new
seedlings can play catch-up. When I opened the B'wine seed pkt. I noticed
that the seed was kinda grey and shriveled, not the nice,tan plump,fuzzy seed that you can almost
see its viability. So I had an inklng
that the results might not be all that great. But you never know, I've had
some of my dismal looking plants turn out to
do okay.

o

I've seen BW plants at all sorts of places, including discount stores. Now, whether or not they are what they are supposed to be, who knows? I believe the Sudduth strain of the BW is alleged to be the one and only true Brandywine.

For my money, BWs are okay. Not great, not spectacular, just okay. I grew them for several years and they didn't exactly blow my hair back. The big negative with BWs, and other heirlooms, is that they're totally unpredictable. They take a long time to bear fruit and I've had BW plants that managed to yield maybe two or three tomatoes. As always, just my opinion. Cheers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here