Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Liatris, Plant Or Not To Plant. Help Please

Posted by Nick_17815_PA NE_PA z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 05 at 23:09

Liatris Kobold. I purchased two bulbs at the philly flower how, and planted them in separate pots a couple weeks ago. I wasn't sure how quick they'd come up, and now they're both up 2"-3" I wonder if I planted them too soon, and now do I need to wait until the threat of frost is gone to plant them in the ground, or if they'll still manage freezing nights. After checking several sites, it seems that a good planting spot is full sun & well drained? Any help you can give me is appreciated.

Watching The Yard Puddle Up

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Liatris, Plant Or Not To Plant. Help Please


Only your yard is puddling...I am 2 block off the Susquehanna, so I can see alot more than that(on high ground however).

I would wait a few more weeks to plant it, though you should be able to put it outside in a shady spot, and bring it in if frost or freeze threatens, then when it is time, plant it our in a sunny area.

I love liatris, and am dividint a huge clump of white...actually I have it dug already, now I need to get it back in the, I mean ground.

Waiting for my bridge to close

RE: Liatris, Plant Or Not To Plant. Help Please

Liatris is extremely hardy. Has to be because the bulbs often push themselves to the surface so definitely get frozen solid in the winter. I'd leave them outside either in the ground or in the pots.

Ease them out, though. Wait until you have a weather forecast with a couple days in a row with above freezing temps and set the pots in a partly shady spot. You can also put them in the fridge at night (if you have room and permission) to give them a taste of the cold cruel world.

RE: Liatris, Plant Or Not To Plant. Help Please

A little update, I planted them prolly a week or so after posting, and all the leafs started to go pale and limp....
Then they slowly got their color back and are looking just fine. I also got a little box of them from Walmart for 97cents, the bulbs were tiny, didn't have many roots, and looked dried out, but three of the four came up :o) A lot smaller than the ones from the flower show, but a lot less.
Does anyone have a clue when to expect them to bloom.

Waiting For Some Rain


RE: Liatris, Plant Or Not To Plant. Help Please

Mine blooms late June through July along with the coneflowers, lilies, nepeta, and shasta daisies. The snapdragons are 'bronze rocket'

RE: Liatris, Plant Or Not To Plant. Help Please

What a beautiful combination!

RE: Liatris, Plant Or Not To Plant. Help Please

That is so pretty katybird!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here