Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extinction of the inexpensive 6 cell vegtable pack.

Posted by rayinpenn 10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 6:50

This year here in southeastern Pennsylvania the inexpensive 6 cell vegetable pack has become like the dinosaurs - extinct. I has been replaced by the larger single plant for $3.49. So the flat of 40 cucumbers that I grew from a single packet ($3.50) of seed would have cost over $120. I can not and will not pull the trigger on a $3.49 pepper plant . It's just insane! Clearly the margin on the large plant is higher and the retailer makes more money. The gardener on the other hand might be forced to scale down his garden to make it fit in his or her budget. That to me is a real shame. I discuss gardening budget issues and maintain a photo journal of my gardening at my website:
ThePrudentGardener.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extinction of the inexpensive 6 cell vegtable pack.

to see more pictures from my garden..
Garden pics

o

They aren't extinct, just harder to find. I have several nurseries in Lancaster County that still grow them. God forbid the retailer make money. Sorry, i work in the industry, and there is NO money to be made in 6 packs.

o

I have seen a few here outside Harrisburg, but sadly, everything is so much more expensive these days.

o

Glick's in Berk's County sells inexpensive six packs of vegetables and annuals. Love that place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glick's Greenhouse

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here