Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomforlife

Looking for heirloom veg. plants in Pittsburgh

tomforlife
18 years ago

My former green thumb has gone dingy. All of the seedlings from my favorite heirlooms are withering away at 1 inch tall due to too much chlorine bleach in the water when I cleaned the pots I used from last year. My best guess is that the chlorine bleach, which I could smell in the pots even after the final rinse and drying, has leached into the soil stunting the seedlings.

Does anybody know of a nursery around Pittsburgh that sells heirloom tomatoes and other vegetables? I found one source who is selling plants at the Union Project in East Liberty this evening. They are a little expensive at $2.50 per plant. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

I got some at Brenckles last weekend. They had quite a selection, but I've forgotten the prices.

• miss_chanterelle
    18 years ago

they were 1.50 per plant at brenckles in butler....didn't have very many left this week though. We live very close to the greenhouse so were able to get them the first day..got german Johnson, Amana orange, Mortgage lifter,Purple Prudhom and Mr. stripey . They had Brandywine and Old German too on Sunday but they were going fast! I'd probably call before you drive up
    to see if they have any left...724-482-2353

• tomforlife
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for responding. I'll have to take a ride up north to Benckle's next year.

I did a google search in the meantime and found a small greenhouse/nursery 15 mins NorthEast of my home. If you're familiar with Monroeveille, follow 286 out of Plum to 380. Take 380 past Beaver Run Resevoir. Turn onto Perrysville Road on the left, and follow the signs to Susan's Greenhouse.

Very nice proprieter--trying to make it on her own after a number of jobs with local nurseries. Still has many, many heirloom tomatoes and other vegetables. As a price comparison, I was going to pay $2.50 per plant for the Rosa Bianca eggplant at the East Liberty market. At Susan's, they were $1.50 per flat of six. Heirlooms and hybrid tomatoes in 4" pots were $.75. Check out the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: All about Susan's Greenhouse

• miss_chanterelle
    18 years ago

susans sounds great! we'll have to check it out next year..put our last plants in today ( Brandywine tomato and serrano pepper) about 3 minutes before the hailstorm! Fortunately they all look ok...now comes the hard part..WAITING!!!!!

• tomforlife
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Miss chanterelle--
    And weeding, and watering and keeping watchful vigil of the critters who want them as bad as we do!! But its worth it. I've got one of almost every color tomato. Come August they'll look and taste great on that platter of basil and homemade mozarella drizzled with olive oil.

• mjw15618
    18 years ago

Hey Tom, thanks for the info about Susan's! I live about a mile from her off of Route 819 and have never ventured over to see what she has. I plan on stopping by this weekend. There are a few nurseries out my way that have heirlooms - Cornerstone Gardens on Route 286 just outside of Saltsburg has Mr. Stripey and Brandywine and Kiski Garden Center on Route 56 in Leechburg always has a huge selection. Last year I bought White Wonders and Garden Peaches. I haven't been there yet this year, but I assume they have stuff along those same lines. They also have an awsome selection of perennials and shrubs. Good luck!

• Nur_Misur
    18 years ago

If you ever decide to take a ride south, check out Shields Herbs and Flowers. It's an awesome greenhouse with a massive variety of...well.. everything! They are located just south of Waynesburg on Route 218. And extremely reasonable on their prices. Four packs $1.00 1 1/2" pots $1.50 and so on. Most all their gallon pots of perennials are $3.00 and all organically grown!

• chriscyr
    15 years ago

I am new to posting anything but I figured I would pass along a message. Susan's Greenhouse opens May 1. Even though her business isn't open yet right now I have already called ahead to have her set some things aside. I am hoping this will make life easier this planting season. I like giving my planting money to small businesses rather than huge ones that don't really respect us, they only want our money. Their plants more expensive and they aren't cared like a private business can. Good luck this year now that the snow has left us, or has it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Link of interest

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County