Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboo in central pa?

Posted by JessePa z5 pa (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 05 at 8:36

Does anyone have experience with bamboo in central Pa.? I would like it as a privacy screen and to get shots for projects and other cool stuff.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboo in central pa?

Yes I have 4 different kinds in this catalog it says where it grows best.The companies name is New England Bamboo Co.www.newenglandbamboo.com this is where I get mine they do a good job helping you.

o

jesse,
in zone 5, you're pretty limited regarding bamboo that will grow well. i can give you some recommendations for cold hardy bamboo, you might want to research them further at bamboo reseller sites (i buy mine from a place called bamboodirect.com)

fargesia - these are clumpers, all are cold hardy, but aren't tolerant of full sun

phyllostachys varieties: bissetti, rubromarginata, aureosulcata, nuda. in my opinion, the nuda loses too many of it's leaves and looks bad in winter. best bet is the bissetti, but it is very aggressive.

in your zone, any bamboo will have to be mulched VERY well in late fall.

o

I'm a little north and west from central PA but I have a little 1 gallon P. Bissettii from Bambu-u.com last spring. It wintered over ok with anything above the snow dieing off. Below that is all green and is now leafing out.

o

I'm just outside Philly and we are experiencing a major bamboo problem in some areas. In my immediate area one gardener planted some bamboo for basket making and it is spreading uncontrollably. It is almost impossible to eradicate, short of sinking metal barriers 3' into the ground, and native plants cannot compete with it. In the last two years it has come 20' closer to me.
Beware what you wish for :-)

o

I just bought some bamboo for container planting. The supplier recommended Phyllistacys (sp?) Bissetti for our zone (eastern PA).

o

there is a ridiculous amount of bamboo growing in and about my town (boiling springs. outside carlisle)
it seems to be just fine

josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here