Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cobra0070

lilacs

cobra0070
18 years ago

Is it beneficial to remove the dead blooms. I`ve been doing it since I planted it 5 years ago. Each year it`s gotten larger with more blooms and it has become quite labor intensive to dead-head.Does it really make a difference in the health of the shrub or the amount of flowers it produces? Thanks.

Comments (3)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I know some professional lilac nursery folks who have indicated that you don't have to dead head. Certainly there are old abandoned farmstead ones that no one dead heads and they grow and bloom just fine. I've experimented the past couple years not dead heading and it didn't make much difference with the blooms the following year. I may still do some for aesthetics and I am usually cutting blooms to bring inside as it is.

• jiggreen
    18 years ago

i was diligent last spring about deadheading the lilac in my front yard, and i am sad to say that i had a lot fewer blooms this year than last. the lilac in my backyard that i did not deadhead at all was chock full of blooms this year...go figure!!! my lilac deadheading days are over!

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

To make lilacs last longer get those packets of the mix you get with cut flowers at the grocerers.They sell them her for 10 cents a pack lilacs last a few more days with it.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH