Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

ZERN's....anyone?

earthlydelights
17 years ago

i was hunting the auction sites and came across this for zern's up in gilbertsville.

Plant Auction

Seasonal Plant and Shrub Auctions every Friday and Saturday at 6:00pm Weather Permitting

i've been to zern's many moons ago, and remember auctions, but not plant auctions. anyone have any experience with this? are the plants of decent quality? is it worth the trip (consider the price of gas).

thanks,

maryanne

Comments (9)

• chescobob
    17 years ago

My Father used to take me to Zern's when I was a kid.

• backyardmom
    17 years ago

i go to zerns.i'v look at their plants,but never bought any.most of the time it's bushes and small tree's.but they look good. maybe i just wasn't there at the right time.
    joan

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks joan.

i guess if i am ever in the area, i'll check it out, but to go the distance for something iffy isn't worth the tank of gas. time magazine showed brooklyn new york with "cheap" gas at $4.15/9.

happy blooms :)

maryann

• pennycp
    17 years ago

Hi -
    I live close by Zerns, so I run up to sit at the auction for a little bit every now and then. It used to be a lot better than it is now. As recen;ty as two years ago I bought a lot of stuff really cheap, but last year was a different story, and this year I haven't bought a thing.

Zern's is an interesting place to people watch. And there are some other plant vendors that sometimes have good stuff at good prices, but don't make a special trip for the auction.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks penny. appreciate your advice.

years ago we would hit the collegeville inn and then go up to the auction. i don't recall a plant/flower auction, just "stuff". haven't been there in awhile, guess it will stay that way.

i just read gas in brooklyn, ny was $4.25 for the cheap stuff. i'll stick to local places for new plants.

enjoy your weekend,
    maryanne

• Patriz
    17 years ago

I use to get plants at the auction for several years there. Just like any other place, the prices can be good or just normal. Some things were actually over priced and could be gotten cheaper at box stores. I didn't go this year, however, my sis just went last week and she said that the plant prices were high, especially the hanging baskets. The again, hanging baskets aren't too cheap anywhere these days. Have fun if you go.

Harker's Auction in Tabernacle, NJ (Fri night merchandise and Sat night small animal) has some great buys on plants, shrubs, and trees at auction. It's hit or miss each night because it's not a dedicated plant auction. Some weeks are heavy with plant selections, and others are sparse.

Now, if you can find a Produce Junction...that's cheap..ie, my blooming gardenia tree standard 3 foot=$8.00!

• pennycp
    17 years ago

OOHHHH - there is a Produce Junction in Mount Clare near Phoenixville - I forgot all about them. Thanks!

• woodsidetrader
    17 years ago

We go to Zern's several times a year. But I have never bought plants there. Considering the other places in the area, their quality/prices are not that good. If you are close enough to consider Zern's let me know what type of plants you are looking for and maybe I can recommend a place for you to check out.

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks for all the responses.
    di, yes, there are several PJ's i can think of -- if they are all still called that - one in hatboro, one in bensalem and one over in glenside. there's also another place at cottman and castor.
    i did get quick a few wonderful flats of flowers from Jack's at the corner of church road and township line.

as for zern's, i just thought i'd make a day out of it, if the plants were worth it, but since it's so hit or miss, and especially in light of gas prices i'll pass, unless for some reason i am up that way. i used to go down to berlin to the outside plant vendors in early spring. this is the first year i didn't.

someone else posted about a few plant sales that are more local, so i'll check them out.

now, if i could only find a reasonable mulch man -- mine is MIA.

thanks again,
    happy blooms :)
    thank God for this rain, wishing for more

maryanne/earthly

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living