Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady's Mantle in a container

Posted by nyad 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 10:18

Hello, everyone! I'm in Central PA, just bought 3 Lady's Mantles at an outdoor sale and was told that they would all fit in a 2' x 2' x 2' container and do well on my mostly shady balcony. I face SW but also a woods that's growing ever closer, so there are a few hours of sun each day and it's dappled. From what I read from the "Lady's Mantle" posts (which do not include container questions so far), the plant does well in all kinds of situations. However, I now realize the container I described to the sellers is 1 and 1/2 cubic ft, not 2. Will the 3 plants still be ok? I have more containers on wheels but also more types of plants. Also, is this an herb or a regular plant? I've read both. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady's Mantle in a container

Lady's Mantle is considered an herb and will grow in sun or shade but the less sun it receives the leggier it will be. I too live in the woods and have a front porch similar to your circumstance. The container should be big enough for several years, if you aren't happy with the plants in the containers you can always plant them among hostas, coral bells or anyother shade loving plant. In my gardens they receive morning sun which doesn't reach the garden until 9 AM then gone by noon...because of the ever encroaching forest. You could also plant some med size hostas or coral bells in the container with the Lady's Mantle. Hope this helps. I've experimented with so many plants on my front porch after 7 years I'm still searching. Except I do grow lovely ferns in my hanging baskets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here