Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia Lady at Zerns

Posted by pennycp Z6 SE Penna (My Page) on
Tue, May 23, 06 at 10:25

Hi -

For the last two years I bought dahlia tubers from a woman who set up a stand just for one weekend at Zerns Farmers Market. She dug them out of her yard and put them in baggies with homemade tags. The tags said "Delightful Dahlias".

I've been keeping an eye out for her this year but haven't seen her yet. Seems like it's getting kind of late in the year....

Has anyone else seen her there? Have I missed her?

Appreciate any information on how to find her.

Thanks.

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia Lady at Zerns

I don't know about the dahlia lady at Zerns . . . but my father is a dahlia grower in SW PA so I know a little about dahlias by default.

The best way to buy dahlias is to look up the dahlia society in your area and find out when they have their annual auction of tubers. It would usually be in May. Also, find out if and when they have their annual show and go see the flowers and talk to the growers. Shows are usually in early September. They will show you which dahlias will meet your needs.

Reputable dahlia sellers usually sell dahlias by name, such as "Zorro" and a size classification and style such as formal, informal, or ball.

Of course, you could do what I've done at times and buy the prettiest ones you see in bloom at the nursery. Some places like Home Depot have potted dahlias that were greenhouse raised to be in bloom in the spring when annuals are sold. They probably won't over-winter very well but they'll be pretty for a season.

Karen

o
RE: Dahlia Lady at Zerns

Hi Karen -

Thanks for the information!

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here