Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardrockkid

Tell me they're late risers!

hardrockkid
18 years ago

OK... trying not to be paranoid, but I am now officially worried about these -- all planted for the first time last year, show no sign of coming back yet, and have some reason why I'd be particularly worried.

Here in Williamsport it has been pretty chilly, but most of my perennials are up. Forsythia is still blooming. Recently just appearing was russian sage. Hostas and most ferns have risen... but not the Japanese painted fern (which is, I think, my last plant to show up).

So here's the list:

Coryopsis - American Dream or Sweet Dreams. Can't remember which, because I planted one 2 years ago and it didn't return. I thought the problem was poor drainage, which is now fixed (bed raised). Planted the other one last year... did fine during the season, but so far a no-show for repeat engagement.

Anemone Honorine Jobert. Planted in late summer, and got a bit dry. But they were still alive when they went dormant (I think!!)

And last, Wintergreen. Bought cheap at end of year clearance, and they were a bit ragged to begin with. I don't know if these guys are *really* evergreen or just sort-of, as in the way of hellebores and epimediums. So at the end of winter, when I cleaned up the old foliage of those other pseudo-evergreens, I pruned the wintergreen also. Was this a no-no? Or is it just late? Or is that the right thing to do, and the plant is just plain dead??

Tell me I'm paranoid... they're all gonna show up... right???

Comments (6)

• loretta5_gw
    18 years ago

Coreopsis Sweet Dreams may be perennial somewhere - but it isn't in Zone 6. I have a nice warm Philadelphia garden and it has never overwintered for me (after three tries). Treat it as an annual.

Anemone Honorine Jorbet will come up. It is a hearty perennial. Sorry, I don't know anything about Wintergreen.

Loretta5

• gazania_gw
    18 years ago

Is that wintergreen 'Gaultheria Procumbens'? If so, it is evergreen. The shiny leathery leaves and berries (teaberries) should last all winter. I bought several pots of it 4 years ago. Only 2 small clumps have survived. I know I don't have the best growing conditions for it. Needs a partly shady place with moist well drained acid soil.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

my anemone is just putting up a tiny leaf now.... it was a bargain bench plant that went in late, so apparently they are pretty tough. Coreopsis are all up, I saw some sweet dreams over winter locally last year, but don't see anything there yet.
    Maybe the wintergreen will sprout from the roots? It might be a little early still, give it at least another month.
    Hardrockkid, do I remember correctly that you bought a Gunnera last year? Is it still with you or was that a winter casualty?
    Kato

• hardrockkid
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm still watching...

Loretta - I'm not too happy to hear about that pink coreopsis hardiness! But not too surprising, I guess... I know there was a big stink a couple years ago about the 'new color breakthough' with Limerock Ruby, and that ended up being hardy to Southern Georgia, or something.

But -- 'American Dream' is supposedly hardy to *zone 4*! So I still am hoping. (I am pretty sure that is the one I planted last year; 'Sweet Dreams' was 2 years ago.) Of course, the same sources that list A.D. as zone 4 hardy list S.D. as zone 5.

If it doesn't come back this year, I think I will try it one more time. Too expensive to treat as an annual, for me anyway!

Kato -- Good memory. Yes I did try the Gunnera last year. Not surprisingly there's no sign of it yet, but I'm not too optimistic. I didn't do much to protect it for overwintering (I was too crazed last fall trying to finish painting the house exterior before it got too cold) (and this is a big old farmhouse!). I did heap a pile of fallen leaves... and the winter really wasn't too cold (there was about a week that was rough on my heathers because it was down around 0 *and* very windy). So, we shall see. After I know it's fate I'll have to dig up that old Gunerra thread.

Happy Mother's Day to all the gardening Moms!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

LOL, I know that running around thing and old houses.... We were putting up siding into December!
    I was looking at gunneras but they're a little expensive for an annual. I know one year I'll crack, it's just one of those things you have to do!

• hardrockkid
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Honorine Jobert is yawning and stretching! Yay.

Kato, based on what my Gunnera did in it's first (?only) year last year, I don't think it would be too useful as an annual... unless it was a really good size to begin with (and then it probably would be pretty pricey). I think it needs a year or two to reach impressive size -- and other than impressive size, there aren't alot of other reasons to grow it!

Oh yeah... how about Blue-Eyed Grass? Reliably perennial? (They were fine last year, but haven't shown up yet).

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor