Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

Ahhh... finally, some rain

Pipersville_Carol
18 years ago

I was so happy to see the rain this morning. Seems like it's been weeks since we've had any down here in Bucks.

I was amazed to see how the leaves on the trees look like they've doubled in size overnight... they must have been curled up to conserve moisture. Everything is suddenly very lush and green.

Comments (11)

• moggy_moo
    18 years ago

Yep, over here in Chester County, I am delighted to have received (so far) 3/4" of slow, light rain since last night. Groundwater seems perfectly adequate, but the top 3" of soil was getting PARCHED!

• katybird_PA
    18 years ago

No amount of watering refreshes a garden like a day of gentle rain.

• stimpy926
    18 years ago

YESSSSSS! It was looking like I would have to do some major watering soon if it weren't for this arrived rain system.

• garden_grammie
    18 years ago

It is a very cozy day today. Great chance to catch up on some housework. I spent the last few weeks or so working in the garden and loved every bit of it. Nothing is better than getting the exercise hard work in the yard can bring. It's great getting dirty and looking back on how great the place is beginning to get!
    My Burning bushes must have grown 9 to 12 inches with this rain!!!
    Has anyone planted their tomato plants yet?
    I was afraid to put them out because I am not sure the soil is warm enough.
    Weeding will be so much easier this weekend!

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

I love a rainy day !!

Florence

• blueheron
    18 years ago

I love it! I was getting tired of watering the annuals and newly-planted perennials.

Grammie, I planted my tomato plants on May 11. I have a raised bed, so the soil would be somewhat warmer than the ground. It's true, they don't do much until the soil warms up, though. And we've had a cooler than normal spring.

• shadylady_pa
    18 years ago

Yes, it was very, very welcome.

When I stopped to pick up my son from preschool, his teacher said "Do you believe the rain?" as if it had been raining for weeks. I think my jaw just about dropped because I have been hoping for rain for weeks.

• hardrockkid
    18 years ago

I was starting to think this might set records for the driest May... I guess it still could. Here in Lycoming County, we had 0.1" for the month before this (and a few days ago, this rain wasn't in the forecast -- I wasn't sure if we'd get any more all month) (or ever!!)

If anyone has the link to that map of rainfall by county, with percent over/under normal, could you post it so people can check it out? (I have the link on my office computer, but can't access GW there) (very dangerous, going to a gardening website, you know!).

Anyway... that whole map was red and orange... red being >75% less precipitation than normal.

It was wonderful when I came enough awake last night to hear the sound of rainfall! As the thread title says: "Ahhhhhh!"

• mwoods
    18 years ago

After all the flooding here in Bucks last month I thought I'd be happy never to see rain again. I don't think I've ever seen our soil so hard and dry as it's been this week. I'm still planting and it's a joy being out there after yesterday's rain.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I've included the link below for the PA Drought Information Center. We haven't really been in any long term drought like back in 2002 - 2003, but we have been in a short-term drought and that rain yesterday was welcome! The NWS had indicated that Philly had only had about 0.06" of rain the entirety of May (although we had a big flooding deluge ~April 30) and 18 straight days of no rain. I understand that yesterday's rain gave this area about 1" of nice, slow, soaking type to get that top soil moistened. The air has been so dry, the moisture really did help the leaves of our poor plants too. I guess the main benefit of the cooler temps is that it kept any crispiness to a minimum with the low humidity and dewpoints, and the many breezy days.

From what I understand from the various weather services, the jetstream is oriented to keep rolling a wet Low pressure system around and around over our area until about Wednesday, so expect some more rain over the next couple days.

Now to get some tomato and pepper-growing WARMTH already. Sigh...

(but then we should know better this year about what happens when we wish for something... ;-))

Here is a link that might be useful: PA Drought Information Center

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Interesting links..... we are still dry here, just a light shower yesterday morning and a few traces today. The grass is looking sad in spots and the soil is dusty. Most of my plants seem to be waiting for a shower, I bet when it does rain they'll just triple in size (including the weeds!)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting