Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katybird_pa

Who is growing roses?

katybird_PA
18 years ago

Do you grow roses and if so, what kinds do you grow. I have had could luck with my Fairy Roses, my Knockouts, Bonicas, Carefree Wonder, and Zephrine Droughin. I had a Cecile Brunner, but it was always aphid infested and I hate to fuss with chemicals. I had a Nearly Wild that I killed in moving it and I just moved a Sunflare that looks worse for the wear. What do you grow? Do you spray? If not, what roses grow well with minimal fuss.

My Fairy rose with a Russian Sage

{{gwi:1109105}}

Comments (34)

• Hawkeye_Belle
    18 years ago

You should check out the rose forum and antique rose forum. If you are asking what roses will tolerate our wet climate without fungus (or minimal fungus) in my garden there are only 2 kinds--rugosa hybrids and alba roses.

BTW for aphids you can ward them off by spraying your roses with a blast of water in the early morning. This will get rid of them until the lady bugs come and eat them. I have tons of aphids now but I also noticed a couple of lady bugs too so I'm not worried. The predator bugs always seem to follow the destructive ones. It's nature's way.

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

Well, I've had good luck with Reine des Violettes, Zephrine Drouphin, Darlow's Engima, Awakening, Constance Spry, Mme. Isaac Perire, and Westerland.

Avoid the gorgeous Austin roses if you can't spray. And almost all of the hybrid teas!

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

I grow rugosas (Blanc de Coubert and rugosa Alba) and climbers (New Dawn). I don't spray them. The leaves get pretty munched and lacey by the end of the season, but the plants seem healthy and I get lots of flowers.

• janepa
    18 years ago

I have been growing roses for the past seven years. The only rose I have found that is not bothered by blackspot is Knockout - I am glad I like it's form and color. I have had over 100 roses for several years, but more and more are getting shovel pruned because of their lack of resistance to blackspot, which is prevalent here in PA, and HTs seem to get it the worst. I have added Pink Knockout and Blushing Knockout to my garden this spring and hope they are as great as the original.
    While I do not spray, because of the grandchildren and the environment, I do have some Austins, and I will always have Lilian Austin in my garden. Here is a photo why -{{gwi:1109106}}
    She might get a little blackspot, but nothing that I cannot ignore.
    I have also had good luck with Astrid Lindgrin, rugosas (which must never be sprayed), and the OGRs.
    If any questions come to mind, please feel free to e-mail me.
    Jane
    Roses have been my first love in the garden, but more and more daylilies are taking their space, along with more perennials, and clematis.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

I am just really getting into roses, and have two that were here when I moved in, they were my grandmothers...I think the one did not survive this past winter however.

I need to construct a list of what I have, I already made a list of the more "modern" ones, but need to add the OGRs to it.

I love the look of Austins, purchased 2 this year, traded for one and rooted some cuttings overwinter in the yard.

Gerry

• hardrockkid
    18 years ago

I put a toe into the rose waters a year and a half ago, and am wading a little deeper this year.

Fall of '04 I planted 'Lavender Lassie' to climb one side of an arbor. This is an older Hybrid Musk... doesn't seem to be grown/sold much, but I found it searching for a lavender-ish rose that would tolerate shade, have good fragrance, and be a climber (I didn't know diddly about roses at that time - and not a whole lot more now!)

She has done fine so far. I did not see sign of disease or pest in her first full growing season last year.

This spring I went for 2 Hybrid Teas: Mr Lincoln and Double Delight. Hoping for the best.

The wife would like to have an entire rose garden - and we do have the space for it, but I'm a little leary. Especially after reading this thread! We'll see how these fellas do.

• epiphany
    18 years ago

I grow quite a lot of roses but since I do spray I can't comment much on what is healthy without spraying. The Buck rose Earth Song is a pretty bullet proof one that is hardy and always in bloom.

• nancycon
    18 years ago

I grow many of the above including Austins which I love. They take a hit each winter in my zone 5. I spray but am not a fanatic because I am not growing for Rose Show specimens. I'll take nature with it's flaws but will jump in to save an infected favorite. I try to buy old roses to go with my "old house" Anyway every year is different with too much rain or too much humidity, I never know what to expect from a blossom standpoint even though I prune carefully, fertilize regularly and mulch when I should. Wish I could apply the same disapline to eveything else in my life!!!

• susiebuckhouse
    18 years ago

I have a small garden but I have gone ga-ga for roses. With my bad knees , they are easier to care for than flower beds. I also have a huge rock garden on a high terrace for my front yard. I have roses in there, too. I use the" carpet flower" roses there. I am starting a new bed of roses on the side of the terrace that meets my driveway. I just purchased, Love, Honor and Cherish also Perfume Delight, and Peace. I always wanted Peace and now I have it, no pun intended! On my narrow side garden, I have a nice rose bed of, the fairy, climbing America, Heritage, Rio Samba, Mirabella, Double Delight, Montazuma, Magic Lantern, Tournament of Roses, and Purple Tiger. In front of those I have all kinds mini roses. In other parts of the yard I have New Dawn, Hot Chocolat, Dream Weaver, white Iceberg, Bel Aire, Golden Showers, and climbing Don Juan. I have no choice but to spray. With our hot humid summers, black spot is rampent. I fertilize with slow release food, and water with miracle grow every two weeks. This past year I found borers in some canes when I was trimming them up for spring. I hate those bugs. I almost lost Montezuma, (my favorite), and it still may not survive.

• mwoods
    18 years ago

My list includes
    Bonica
    Queen Elizabeth
    Madame Isaac Periere
    Zepherine Drouhin
    Eden
    Madame Hardy
    Carefree Beauty
    Carefree Wonder
    Fair Bianca
    The Cottage
    Prince
    Knock Out
    New Dawn
    Simplicity
    Sir Thomas Lipton
    Tournament Of Roses
    Europeana
    Falstaff
    Sea Foam
    Marmalade Skies
    Day Breaker
    Kaleidoscope
    Raspberry Sunblaze

The only ones which get black spot are Simplicity and Tropicana. Tropicana is the only hybrid tea I have and I just don't grow them because of all the diseases etc. and I like the looks of the older roses and floribundas much more. Good luck to you. You learn so much about roses by trial and error. I have lots of perennial beds and love them more than life but there is just something about all those roses blooming in the late spring and early summer which takes my breath away sometimes.

• mwoods
    18 years ago

I forgot to say how beautiful your picture is. Fairy and russian sage are a great combination.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

I've got a Knockout and a Ballerina that struggled through blackspot last year. I've got two that I would like to add that are fairly pest proof, Easy Living and (I think) Living easy... maybe next year.
    It would be nice to have a tall old rose bush with fat double blooms and nice fragrance. I want to be surrounded by blooms even if it's only a once a year show.

• epiphany
    18 years ago

JanePa
    What part of Pa are you in?

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

The first rose to show blackspot this year is an Austin, the beautiful Graham Thomas.

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

My rugosa roses just started blooming this week, about two days ago. Alba was first, with very simple wild-looking white fragrant flowers. Blanc de Coubert bloomed the next day, with pure white fluffy flowers. I've planted 11 of the Albas in a raised planter last year, and have high hopes that they'll grow into a giant thick hedge of white roses and hips. So far they're doing really well.

• LinHen
    18 years ago

I grow mostly Austins. I use a systemic treatment. Heritage, Othello and Falstaff are almost indestructible in my garden:) PAX

• witsend22
    18 years ago

I grow mostly hybrid teas just because they are easiest to obtain. This year I lost a perfume delight, Mr lincoln, pinata and A gold glow. The gold glow never did winter well and was headed for shovel pruning this year anyway. Currently I have buds on Kordes perfecta, frau Druski, Mr Lincoln, Peace, and full bloom on chrysler inperial but it was greenhouse kept over winter so its ahead of the others.

for aphids I use a spray of mild dish detergent, baking soda and water. The aphids go away and the baking powder reduces or eliminates some powdery mildew. Avoiding spraying water in the evening also if you can. A spraying in early morning before sun is high enough to burn is better to avoid problems with powdery mildew which thrives in warm day, cool wet night conditions.

• Patriz
    18 years ago

I'm just starting with some roses and most have done farly well concerning blackspot and mildew. I'm in the far Northeast Philadelphia. Trouble-free are Climbing New Dawn, Climbing Don Juan, all of the Rugosas, and the OGRs that I started from cuttings a few years ago from a GW trade. I wanted to put in some Knockouts, but I just don't have the room. I've found that composted manure is the all-around best stuff to keep roses healthy. Even compost tea is a miraculous prevention against disease and pests.

• hannah
    18 years ago

I'm down to 2 now...either I'm the worst Rose grower on the face of the planet, or my soil's all wrong.
    I've tried for years with very little luck.

I still have my climbing Iceberg that's doing very well along the post & rail pool fence...finally after 4 years!!! LOL

But my poor, poor Ambridge Rose , I'm sorry to say, isn't doing well...and I love this rose!

{{gwi:1109107}}

I believe it's too close to the stucco part of my house...possibly the lime is leaching...I may move it...again!
    LOL...what we don't do to keep our Roses alive, huh?

• caliloo
    18 years ago

Intrigue opened the first blom of the season today and I am thrilled!

{{gwi:1109108}}

Alexa

• Sally_D
    18 years ago

I went from 0 to 70 roses last year and this year. Oh boy are they addictive. I do spray as I wanted a wide variety.
    Just started adding all of the clematis with them. Wow, am I having fun.

• katybird_PA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I decided on ordering 'Easy Going' and 'Carefree Sunshine' this year. I have a thing for yellow roses. I was extremely tempted by 'Country Dancer' and 'Distant Drums.' I'll look around to see if I can find them locally and maybe add them also. Now if I can just keep the deer and the JB's from eating them all!

• carol_se_pa_6
    18 years ago

I have a bunch of them and they are very addictive. My Mary Rose was the first to open yesterday - hooray! I gave into spraying after I got so tired of looking at black spot. I am now looking for more disease resistant roses. I am dreading the Japanese Beetles this summer!

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

I grow roses and I refuse to spray so in my garden it is survival of the fittest.

I will try to post a list of the roses that I have that are carefree.

You will love Carefree Sunshine--it is a lovely pale yellow.

Carefree Beauty aka Katy Road Pink is also a great rose.

Compassion is fantastic---very fragrant and of course I love Zephirine Drouhin although it does get blackspot but it bloom early and the fragrance is divine---has a pretty regrowth so I don't mind the BS.

I just visited my son's nursery and he has Distant Drums, Compassion and lots of other nice roses.

Here is my "Zeffy" this is my DH favorite picture--he calls it "Find Flo"

Come visit us on the Rose gallery and the Antique Rose Forum
    Florence/zeffyrose

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

Forgot to add ---all the Knockout roses are very hardy in this area.

Your rose picture is beautiful

Florence

• katybird_PA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, I can't wait for my Zephirine Droughin to look like that. Mine is headed into it's third season. You all grow some gorgeous roses!

• alisande
    18 years ago

Love these pictures! Up in the cold northern tier I've been a trial-and-error rose grower for years, but this year I'm hoping to be more scientific (and successful) with the help of a book called Tender Roses for Tough Climates. The Canadian author takes an interesting approach.

I started with OGRs and did well with them for years. But between an errant snowplow and other factors, the only one left is the one that was here when I moved in 30 years agoÂand I don't know its name. Of the Austins, my Gertrude Jekyll is about 20 years old and doing well, although this past winter was hard on everything. Last spring I planted another GK, plus two more Austins, Grace and Golden Celebration. The latter two are still at ground level, and the new GK has canker. Not much good news there. My Explorer rose, Champlain, has remained very small for years but puts out some lovely blooms, including a heavy flush in fall. My White Meidiland covers part of the old rock garden, and will be joined by a Baby Blanket in a few days.

This year I planted Abraham Darby and J&P's new Cherries 'n' Cream (blooming and gorgeous). Belinda's Dream and Angel Face are waiting to go in the ground. They will be planted deep, following the instructions in the book mentioned above.

Susan

Here's a few of last fall's Champlain blooms:

No, I didn't grow this one (it was in a Mother's Day bouquet from my son)...but isn't it a great rose picture? LOL

• Flutterbyblue2
    18 years ago

Hello I have planted over 30 roses this spring most are Austins, but a few others also this is a brandy new yard and hopefully I got the amount of sun right. Heres Hot Cocoa and About Face.
    Donna

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mwoods
    18 years ago

Zephirine Drouhin is one of my favorites too. I never spray her and she never has had black spot. The fact that she is totally thornless makes her a great one to grow near your house. Here is a picture of mine.

{{gwi:1109111}}

• caliloo
    18 years ago

Here's my first bloom on my baby Pat Austin. I think it is looking pretty good!

Alexa

{{gwi:1109112}}

• lisa_ch
    18 years ago

I love roses but am fairly new to growing them. I still have alot of learning. Here are the roses that I have blooming right now.

{{gwi:1109113}}

{{gwi:1109114}}

{{gwi:1109115}}

• caliloo
    18 years ago

This is the rose my boys got me for Mothers Day. I finally figured out what to do with it. The big problem I have with it is that I hate yellow flowers LOL! I must admit, in this setting I will be able to live with it.

{{gwi:1109116}}

Alexa

• chescobob
    18 years ago

Lisa:

Are the first two a George Burns rose? I have a new one with buds on now.

----------------

I have 33 roses now--all planted this Spring. So far, Secret, Hot Cocoa, Toulouse Lautrec, Elle, and Tamora have bloomed.

My Royal Amethysts are now ready to open with several others ready to go.

• janepa
    18 years ago

All of the roses are lovely.

Alexa, I like the rose with your clematis. I, also do not have very much yellow, but a few years ago I had none. In another few years I will probably have more. I sometimes think I want to plant my garden, have it be as wonderful as the picture in my mind, and just maintain it, but I seem to be always finding something new that I want to try.

Jane

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville