Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_17815_pa

Wish Me Luck - Moving

nick_17815_pa
16 years ago

In about two weeks I'll be moving from Bloomsburg (Espy) to Catawissa (Locust Township) its about 20 minutes away. I have soo many plants to take with me. Spring bulbs, Lilies of all types, Day lilies, Spirea, Roses, Daisies, Mums...Star Flowers, Hostas, Lilacs.....Balloon Flowers, Naked Ladies, Maximillion Sunflowers...etc...etc... I'll have to till out a bunch of gardens and then move them all. I don't really have a time restraint, but I want to get them done as quickly as possible. Any tips from those who have gone through this before?

Oh yeah, plus I have a handful of two year of trees I want to take with me too

Comments (6)

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

i wish you luck nick. i hope you have enough pots to put things in now. a few people i know did it recently. they have been digging and setting aside from the time they realized it was going to happen. it's one thing i think of all the time, how the heck would i do it? i'd rather leave behind inside stuff LOL

keep us informed. hope you get a lot of ideas.

maryanne

• westhighlandblue
    16 years ago

I feel for you, Nick. When I left Dallas, I did not yet own a house in PA and my car was over packed with three large dogs. As a result, I had to leave most of my plants behind, many of which were already in terra cotta pots on a patio, behind.

• Pipersville_Carol
    16 years ago

My tip is: only take plants that are really special to you. Leave behind the ones that are easy to replace.

The last time I moved, I only took the hostas my mother had given me and an unusual perennial geranium that I loved. I already had a full carload of houseplants, more plants would have stressed me out.

• busylizzy
    16 years ago

Hi Nick,
    I know the feeling, I moved and took a bunch of plants with me one time.
    I used alot of cardboard boxes from the liquer store cut down, that way I could water after the move and replant without alot of hassle and drying out or water logged.
    The trees I would ball them with burlap, I think they have it at Renco or Cole's.
    I have a spade too, , lol

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Good luck Nick and congratulations on the new house!
    I moved a few times and only moved plants that were sentimental, uncommon or expensive (but that can still cover a ton of plants!).
    but I was lucky- most of my plants ended up in either a relative's or friend's yard, so if it turned out I wanted it after all I just had to show up for a visit carrying a shovel.

I usually take small divisions of as many things as I can and just dig them into a holding bed until you can prep a permanent spot. It's less overwhelming that way especially when you have a ton of other more important things to worry about.
    I will second the cardboard boxes. I used to wrap the rootballs tightly in newspaper and stuff them all into a cardboard box for transporting. It's neat in the car and then like busylizzy said you can water without worrying about waterlogging.

• aspenbooboo41
    16 years ago

Nick - curious for an update.....how did the move go and how are your plants doing?

Sponsored