What's blooming in your yard?

hannah
18 years ago

Took this just his morning...

{{gwi:1109183}}

Comments (19)

• cydonia33
    18 years ago

I love that beautiful rare orange-y bloom. My rhodies are blooming--- pink and purple, my cranberry bush viburnum is on the verge of bloom. Chives are in bloom for me. I am looking for some more perennials to fill in the gap between my spring bulbs and the summer flowers so I will be keeping my eye on this thread for ideas! Happy May!!!

Jenny

• Kathy46
    18 years ago

Hannah,

I have that same azalea and also one thats pinky/orange but same variety. My regular azaleas are almost in full bloom and the lilac just finished. The lily of the valley is out and smells heavenly. Peonies are likely to bloom in a week or so.

Kathy

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

My first rose opened yesterday. It's Fra Dagmar Hartopp, a rugosa. She's always the first.

And my tree peony is blooming!

• flowerpower5
    18 years ago

Lots and lots of forget-me-nots. The flax has opened as well, so it's a blue bonanza in my garden!

• steel_magnolia_usa
    18 years ago

My forget me nots are also blooming!!! They are one of my favorites. I have a few stray tulips that are still blooming but for the most part my tulips are done, they are here and gone so fast :-(

The rhodedendrums have huge buds on them and it looks like they will bloom any day. Our azalea bush just burst with blooms yesterday, it's light pink flowers are such a beautiful contrast to the purple lilac bush blooming at the other end of the yard.

Ahhhh.... I just love spring!!! It's my favorite season. Why oh why can't the lovely spring flowers last just a few weeks longer? Such bright lovely colors everywhere that cheer you out of the long winter doldrums, but, alas they disappear as quickly as they surface.

• ArborBluffGirl
    18 years ago

My epidendrum radicans is blooming (reed stem orchid brought from inside to out, Blue Dogbane (Amsonia tabernaemontana, various columbines, cherry laurel, flowering almond shrub, jack in the pulpits, pulmonarias, wild gingers, trilliums, stars of bethlehem...

• blueheron
    18 years ago

Columbines, jack-in-the-pulpits, thermopsis, dicentras eximia and spectabilis, camassia, campanula persificola, geraniums, false Solomon's seal, lupines, forget-me-nots, rhodies and azaleas.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

As usual I'm behind... forget me nots, daffs, g.hyacinths, fothergilla, and tomorrow the first bearded iris.

• Karigraphy
    18 years ago

Last year, as part of a landscaping project, we planted the orange azalea which is starting to bloom. It's called Exbury Azalea and I saw it on sale at Lowe's this week.

Other things that are in bloom: azalea, white lilac, bridal wreath, pulmonia, geranium Bevan's variety, epimedium, sweet woodruff.

I've noticed wisteria blooming in my area which makes me very excited because we planted wisteria next to a pergola last summer and it's starting to climb . . .

Even though the azalea are at their peak, the garden still seems a bit barren at this time of year. I'd love to plan for more to happen now.

Karen

• Treehgr
    18 years ago

Many varieties of violets--purple, white, yellow. Also, spring beauties, columbine, Solomon's Seal, grape hyacinth, tulips. And one lone (and very early) yarrow. Serviceberry and cherry have just finished blooming :-(.

• elongrad97
    18 years ago

Irises and that's it so far. I do have new hanging baskets of fushia and two potted geraniums on the porch that are happy. I potted an mandevilla in the ground a few days ago. I hope the cool night we had didn't hurt it.

My hydrangea, butterfly bush, rose bush, astible, peonies and gladiolas are growing away, but no blooms yet.

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

Crabapples, violets, lilacs, english wood hyacinths, dandelions (I like them in the lawn).

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

... and loads of viburnums, how could I forget them!

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

MY columbines,lambium,azaleas,rhodendrons,both colors bleeding heart,trillium,bungle weed,allium,viburnum,violas,wood poppy
    lily of valley,pulmonaria,clematis,weigilla,sweet woodruff ladys mantle,centaurea montana and john coutts, lilacs bachelor buttons. I think thats all.Almost ready to pop open peonys,poppy,irises,foxgloves,canterbury bells, lots of roses.
    Karen if your wisteria doesn't get bloomsdon't get upset they say it sometimes take 8 years from planting I dug some up from a freinds yard 5 years ago still no flowers it looks different this year hoping it will be my year. Patty

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Hannah- thanks alot (sarcasm here)
    Now I have to fit in a viburnum, columbine, epimediums, pulmonaria, sweet woodruff, trilliums.....

I now have wisteria envy, my wisteria is about 6 inches tall (obviously not blooming), and I definately NEED an Exbury azalea, (I saw a few cheap ones at Lowes and HD.....)

Oh spring! I can't wait to dig up more grass to plant more plants!
    Anyone have photos to post?

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

Spring is popping here.
    View from my front upstairs window
    {{gwi:1109184}}
    First and only flower on Paeonia rockii, tree peony
    {{gwi:1109185}}

Some Dodecatheons, shooting stars
    {{gwi:1109186}}
    {{gwi:1109187}}
    {{gwi:1109188}}
    Phlox divaricata
    {{gwi:1109189}}
    Meconopsis cambrica
    {{gwi:1109190}}
    More Meconopsis cambrica in yellow, Mitella and Tellima grandiflora about to open.
    {{gwi:1109191}}

• hannah
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh Carol!!!!!!
    Your Dodecatheon is blooming!!!???!!!
    I'm running outside now to see if mine is!
    I ferget all about it...I have only one little clump and it's hidden behind an Astillbe, which is huge.

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

carol23, that is a beautiful garden!

the only flowers i have so far are daisies and zinnia :-(
    i have something out front that bloomed in march, some kind of bush, but i have no idea what it is. i should have taken pictures to have it ID'ed. the primrose bloomed from february thru april, but it's just about over now, i think.

but there are lots of buds...foxglove, carnation, painted daisies, clematis. the rest are all just green, waiting to bud. everything else is just green, no buds nor blooms.

• katybird_PA
    18 years ago

Beautiful pictures!!! I'm having technical difficulties and can't get my computer to recognize my camera. Will try reinstalling the software, but by the time I download what's on my camera we'll be on to the next season

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone