Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steep slope with Poison Ivy problem

Posted by jefnifnerf PA (My Page) on
Sat, May 16, 09 at 13:45

I am a newbie gardener, and I have a very problematic steep slope in my front yard. It is planted with what I believe is pachysandra and vinca minor vines. However, the entire slope is overrun with poison ivy and other invasive weeds. For years we have tried pulling out the poison, but it comes back no matter what we do. We're now thinking of tearing out everything that's planted there and starting over.

Does anyone have advice? Is there some way we could save the groundcover plants and just get rid of all the poison ivy? Or if we do tear everything out, is there a groundcover plant that wouldn't be as easily overrun?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steep slope with Poison Ivy problem

I had a poison ivy problem when I moved into my home, and I used Brush B Gone to kill it. I live on a hill, too, and used a lot of grasses to stabilize my back slope, and then planted sedum as a ground cover. I hired a landscape architect to give me a plan for my front slope, and she recommended grasses and shrubs, and then vinca minor for a ground cover. You might want to work on just part of your slope at a time (depending how big it is) so that the whole thing doesn't de-stabilize and wash away. Good luck.

o
RE: Steep slope with Poison Ivy problem

If the area is large, I agree with melissas that you may want to try working on the slope in sections to ensure stability of the slope. This will also make the weed/poison ivy eradication job less overwhelming, and you won't end up with a large bare area of ground to fill in.

If the slope is not extremely steep, you might consider starting a rock garden, or terraced type of garden in this area. This will allow easier access to the slope for you so you can weed out any unwanted plants/weeds that may find their way in.

A rock garden or a terraced garden will also allow you to work in sections that are separated by barriers from the poison ivy, Pachysandra, and Vinca, all of which tend to be aggressive growers.

I would check out the Garden Web's "Hillside Gardening" forum for more ideas on how to plan a garden on a slope at the link below.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web - Hillside gardening

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here