Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer and Black Eyed Susan question

Posted by earthlydelights 6 pushing 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 14:19

Hi fellow gardeners.

I don't have a problem here, but I have a little cabin in the poconos and I was thinking of adding to my garden beds some BES. Does anyone have any experience with deer and BES? I have an area fenced off with some items I know they would chow down - learned the hard way - so I'm not too sure where I would want to place these particular plants.

Thanks!
Maryanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer and Black Eyed Susan question

Hi Maryanne,

I live in the Poconos and have planted black eyed susans that deer have left entirely alone, BUT I have also planted some that the deer munched down to stubs. The ones left alone were planted very close to the house. It's really hit and miss and can be different year to year. Last Fall deer ate my rhodies and hollies down to nubs. A first! This spring we put up deer fencing (works great so far) and this is the first year I ever was able to have tulips! And my rhodies and hollies are growing back. I would suggest you might want to plant some BES behind fencing and plant some in an open bed and see what happens. Good Luck!

Jane :>))

o
RE: Deer and Black Eyed Susan question

thanks for the response, june. i'm blown away they ate your rhodies, that's one i always see growing, blooming and undisturbed. guess there were more sophisticated deer pallets this year :-).

i'm going to try planting as you suggested.

maryanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here