Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tradescantia...

Posted by hannah 6B PA & 10A FL (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 14:24

One of my 3 different Spiderworts is blooming...I can't, for the life of me, remember the name, but the others are 'Red Cloud' and 'Osprey', which is just beautiful!
Will take photos if it ever stops raining!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tradescantia...

I have "Zwanenburg Blue" that looks pretty much like yours does. I love it! It really makes a show.

Sally

o

Very beautiful! I had tradescantia in my last garden and keep forgetting to buy some for my new place. It blooms for an incredibly long time, right?

o

• Posted by hannah 6B PA & 10A FL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 15:53

Yes Carol...and it spreads!!! LOL

o

How do you who have this thug keep it from seeding into every single perennial you own, to say nothing of tree roots, shrubs, etc.? I had a big clump when we moved here and it was well behaved at first. Then it started going to seed and I just dug out still more of it. I've been trying to eradicate it for about 6-7 years and can't get rid of it. If it blooms & I don't see it, the seeds drop everywhere. Since you can't pull it up, but have to dig up the roots, it's not fun to find new seedlings, especially in the middle of a clump of daylilies or the like.

o

• Posted by hannah 6B PA & 10A FL (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 8:25

You've got to deadhead the flowers before they turn into seed pods, which they do very quickly.
I'm still pulling up new little plants in 3 beds, but it's really not much trouble...just pull'm out like a weed, although it helps if the soil is dry and loose...sometimes I use a small hand-trough to lift the plants and their roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here