Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name of a flower

Posted by linda_6 PA6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 14:32

Would anyone know the name of a flower I see growing in our area. It's pink, low growing and I'm pretty sure it's a Perennial. They've been blooming now for a few weeks. It looks something like a petunia, but it's not that. I may have to just go and grab a few to take to our local greenhouse and see if they know what it is. I would love to use it as an edging. Thanks in advance.
Linda from PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name of a flower

If you post a photo here, I bet we'll have the answer for you pretty fast!

o

Let's see if this works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Flowers

o

Oenothera speciosa.....really pretty, but can be invasive!

o

goblugal - that's exactly what it is. I see one of my neighbors has it growing on their hillside and every year it looks the same. It doesn't look like it's spreading too much. I'm going to get some and use it as an edging. I called my local greenhouse and they have a few gallons. Thank you finding out the name for me.

o

Well I think I changed my mind on this flower. I've been reading up and it looks like it's too invasive for me. I guess I'll find something else to use as an edging. I'm just getting too tired of my hostas.

o

I have that in my garden and I just love it. It does spread but not in a bothersome way. It's such a "spindly" flower that it is easy to yank out if you don't want it. I adore the way I get drifts of delicate pink flowers every spring. I often plant other annuals among it and have no worries about digging some of it out to plant something else.

Mine is "Siskiyou" but I call it primrose.

I don't think it would be so good for edging, though, since it does travel. I really do love it and look forward to it every year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Siskiyou

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here