kayemell

Plant Swap -- May 14th - PITTSBURGH

kayemell
18 years ago

Pittsburgh Garden Swap!!

Saturday, May 14 12:00pm - 4:00pm

Frick Environmental Center

2005 Beechwood Boulevard, Frick Park in Squirrel Hill Admission: $2 per person

You can trade perennials, annuals, seeds, bulbs, garden tools and decorations. Plants should be clearly labeled and well-potted (please do not bring un-potted or bare-root plants).

Comments (10)

• susiebuckhouse
    18 years ago

I'll be there! Hope to meet some G.W.ers there.

• zhonggarden
    18 years ago

I'll be there too.

• susan6
    18 years ago

Sounds great! Look forward to it.

• thandiwe2
    18 years ago

I am potting up some things for the swap. I have to make some choices about time what to pot up. Are perenneals or veggies more desired? How does the "swap" part work? Do I find someone who has something that I want to trade for something I have or some other system?

If there are GWs that are gonna be there, I have lots of creeping thyme, some hostats, echanaisa, buddlia, monarda, and some veggies. I can also get many other things. Is it kosher to pre-plan giving to them to GWs?

Tracy

• kayemell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tracy --

It's impossible to tell in advance whether perennials or veggies are more desired because it's entirely based on who shows up to swap. But having attended these events in the past I guarantee that everybody is excited about getting something new, so bring whatever you have.

The swap works like this -- you bring your potted and labeled plants to a check-in area and you get one ticket for every "donation." Then you visit a central area where all the plants for swap are displayed -- and use the tickets to claim your choice. Therefore if you bring 24 pots you get 24 tickets and can take 24 new plants home with you.

Regardimg your question about pre-planning to give certain plants to GW-ers, it might be difficult to arrenge this. I would advise trading exclusively on GW if that's what you prefer. Hope to see you at the Swap!

• thandiwe2
    18 years ago

Sound like fun and I will be there, I could actually walk it is only about a mile but not carrying plants. I have lots of things in my small garden that need to be divided so I hope there are lots of others there.

Tracy

• astonishedboy
    18 years ago

I will be there
    Here are some of the things I am bringing:
    -Alchemillia Mollis
    -Gallium odoratum
    -Leonarus cardiaca
    -Melissa Officianalus
    -Polygonatum biflorum (variagated)

I wasn't thinking of Veggies, but I could bring some of those as well...

• steel_magnolia_usa
    18 years ago

Thanks for posting the info!!!! Hope I can make it to this!!!

• steel_magnolia_usa
    18 years ago

Oh my gosh was the plant swap fun!!! Can't wait to go again next year. Got so many wonderful things today!!!

• daylilyaddict
    18 years ago

Had some fun, got some great stuff. My question to those in charge is: I brought Rose of Sharon which were banished to the do not trade - invasive table, while bishop's weed, orange daylilies, mint, and several other much more invasive plants were not. No offense meant. Just wanted to clarify your thinking. Looking forward to next year !!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!