Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katybird_pa

Nurseries in NE PA

katybird_PA
18 years ago

Where are your favorite nurseries in NE PA? I didn't do my usual mail ordering this winter and am going to try and find things locally instead. Any recommendations?

Comments (32)

• Mykarma
    18 years ago

I like O&F Nurseries on Rt. 73 outside of Skippack (the address may be Center Square, I'm not sure). Nice selection, good prices, helpful people

County Line Nursery in Harleysville has lovely plants and accessories, but it's pricey.

Ray's Greenhouse on Morwood Road in Telford is great. Smallish, run by a conservative Mennonite family. The selection isn't extensive but the stock is always in wonderful condition and the prices are right.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Are you near Wilkes Barre/Scranton? I like Corky's near Clark Summit and Perrenial Point near Wilkes Barre.....both have nice friendly service with interesting selections. There's also Dundee Gardens South of Wilkes Barre, nice plant selection and indoor knicknacks, but for some reason the staff is always rude to me.... not just one time, but every year... go figure.
    Kato

• katybird_PA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am actually SE of there over in the Stroudsburg area. I'll travel some way though for a nice nursery with good selection, friendly service and reasonable prices.

• valeriepa
    18 years ago

Perrenial Point in Plains and Dundee Garden in Nanticoke. Also Agway in Dallas.

• zinnia_PA
    18 years ago

Did you ever try Vogel's just off Route 33 in Saylorsburg? She has a very nice selection, but is only open in Spring. I'm not sure when she closes for the season, but I think it is mid to late June. I have been going there for years and have always been pleased. Kathy is very knowledgeable and the staff is very friendly. Another nice place is Glenmar if you're up for the drive a little south, just a little off Route 512 in Moorestown. They also have a very knowledgeable staff

Here is a link that might be useful: Glenmar Nursery

• katybird_PA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks I always forget about Vogel's. Should have stopped on Sunday when I was making the rounds. I went out to Mountain View Nursery in Danielsville. They have the 6" pots for $1. I got a lot there and then stopped at Glen Mar and ended at Albanese in Wind Gap.
    Is anyone familiar with Kettel's in Falls,PA. I've heard good things, but it is a hike and I'm trying to decide if I'd be worth it.
    Thanks for the other suggestions everyone.

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

How far are you from Yardley? It is just south of Washingtons Crossing.

My son has a Perennial farm.

WWW.STONYHILLPERENNIAL.COM

He also has roses.

Florence/zeffyrose

• katybird_PA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'll have to check out the site. Thanks.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Have you been to Kettel's yet? I'm heading there this afternoon and can let you know how it is.
    kato

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Kettel's was nice, decent prices and several greenhouses to wander through. I think it was a little picked through but there were new things coming along. The usual annuals in 4 packs, some proven winners plants, still lots of nice baskets.... I thought there were a few good perennial bargains. I bougth a 1 gallon 'carefree sunshine' rose for 5.50, tempted by 1 gal perennial hbiscus and almost bought a really nice 'Jack frost' Brunnera -also 5.50! WOW! but I'm trying to resist new perrenials until the garden is laid out a little better.

It was a great day for a drive but I don't think I'd drive up from Stroudsburg to go there..... Of course if you loop up towards COrky's and Greystone in Clark's Summit and then pick up Kettel's in Falls and P.Point in Plains.... That's starting to look like a day trip!

• sween
    18 years ago

And, you have two(at least)other places to hit along with Kettel's. Nearby you'll find Rowland's and also Rave's "discount" Nursery.

Rowland's, some say, has the best perennial selection in and around Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and the best prices, too. Rave's was widely known for decades in NE PA, but closed their "retail" outlets maybe two years ago, but continue to operate their wholesale/discount/ nursery, which might very well be the largest I have ever seen. Both Rave's and Rowland's are pretty much off the beaten-path, you'll have to work a bit to find them. Let me know if interested, I can do my darndest to help.

• sween
    18 years ago

You really need to go to Perennial Point when their dahlia field is in bloom. It's spectacular.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

WOW...

5.50 for a carefree sunshine, I bought one at P.P. yesterday in a 3 gallon for....well ALOT more than what you paid, and I would have been happy with a 1 gallon :-(

I need to check out the rest of the prices at P.P. and see how they compare, but I know her roses went up. Unfortunatly, I got there about 15 minutes before they closed and did not have much time to wander about.

Gerry

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

I've never been to Rave's, we almost went after Kettels but didn't have time.... I should have done it anyway, I didn't know it was that big.

Sween, I MUST know more about Rowland's! I am on a bargain hunt this year, I have limited room and low cash flow so my buying must be restrained (this year)..... plus I could wander garden centers day after day and not imagine getting bored for at least a week or two!

I admit to visiting Agway yesterday, (and probably P.Point tomorrow), Agway surprises me with their plants... small plant yard but highlights were lantana standards, red flowering horsechestnut trees, red passionflowers, AND!!!! -one of those plants that for some stupid reason I really think I need- Fargesia Nitida -a hardy clump forming bamboo- It was a small plant a little over a foot tall, and they wanted something like $70 for it. Not exactly in the budget.

I'm trying to convince someone else (with more money) that they need it! Then I can rustle a division from them!

Gerry, don't worry, it's a real small plant. I'm pleased to know you bought it too, it must be a good rose!

Sorry to hijack your post Katybird, but now I need to know where Rowlands is.

Kato

• sween
    18 years ago

Okay, if I tell you that Rowland's is on Rt. 292 in the Dymond Hollow area, would that make any sense to you, Kato? Not at all being a wiseguy here, just trying to gauge what you need to know about directions. How about Fitch's Corners? Honest, this place is not exactly along the beaten path.

It's a family-owned place. In fact, the family, I'd say several branches of it, live right there. One thing important, they're closed on Sunday, or at least they used to be, we haven't been there in maybe two years.

We were out to the Agway on Sunday, too. Decent selection, but pricey, which they have been for a long time. I don't at all mind spending somewhat more to do business with local people, but there are times when some of them charge twice what the chains are charging. And when that happens, well, I think any of us would be foolish to throw our many away.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Thanks Sween,
    I think I do know that area, I'm guessing Dymond Hollow is near dymond's farm and Fitch's Corner is some 5 way intersection near CenterMoreland? I'll just take a ride in the country up 292 from 92 and keep my eyes open.... I'm pretty good at spotting nurseries :)

(I can hit Raves too then!)
    Thanks

• sween
    18 years ago

Dymond Hollow and Dymond Farm are a ways apart, but I'm sure they're named after the same family, Kato. If you come up 92 from the valley, then turn left on 292, Rowland's will be on your right as you travel towards Centermoreland. Sorry for not having precise distances. There is a sign at the bottom of their driveway, and you'll see the nursery sitting on the side of a hill. The more I think of it, the more I hope you're not disappointed with what you find there. Let me know, and good luck!

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

Kato, Sween...

Now I am going to have to find this place.

Sween, I am sure you are right about Dymond Hollow and Dymond Farm being named from the same family...when I shake my family tree, more than a few Dymonds fall loose. And alot of the old family is buried in Fitch Cemetery.

I am sure I had something garden related to say here...hmm...OH YEAH...about time we got some nice rains, plants sure could use it.

Katy...Have you made it to any of these places yet?

Gerry

• sween
    18 years ago

Gerry, there is indeed a cemetery at Fitch's Corners, is that the one where your ancestors now rest? If so, then finding Rowland's will be easy, it's probably no more than a quarter mile from there.

Today's rain, and it didn't amount to much in inches, made some of the perennials around our house jump. Any hosta nuts here? We have several hostas along our front walk that I will sign an affadavit grew visibly today. I love hostas, so do the deer we share this land with, which is the only reason I don't turn our property into "HostaWorld." Cripes, I'd buy dozens a year if not for the deer.

• alisande
    18 years ago

Interesting thread, since I'm in NEPA, too. :-)

I've done pretty well by monitoring Lowe's to see when their trucks come in. That way they haven't had a chance to ruin the plants. Jerry's All Season Garden Center in Dunmore has some nice stuff, but he's expensive. I paid $25 for an irresistible Cherries 'n' Cream (J&P) rose this spring.

Found the best tomato plants at Walmart, which surprised me. Nice size and selection, healthy looking, great prices.

Susan

• summer66 D
    18 years ago

This is a great thread since I also live in NE PA. I was down in the Allentown area this week. As I was driving up Cedar Crest Blvd. I passed Kuss Brothers Garden Center. It's near Perkins on Hamilton. I turned around and had to check it out. So glad I did. I have been searching the web for some dwarf conifers and other unusual plants that I was sure I would have to order online. I was very surprised and happy to find them there. It was nice to see the plants in person and pick out which one I wanted, plus getting a larger plant for the same price was even better. Not to mention that alot of the plants I order online are very small when I receive them and don't always do too well. I thought the plants were very healthy looking. The employees were very helpful and friendly. I didn't really check the prices on the other plants, but I will definitely go back there again. I also took the scenic route home so I could stop at Glen Mar Nursery in Bath, PA. They have a map on their website. I really liked everything here, too. And again, the woman that answered my questions was very helpful and friendly. I will be adding Glen Mar and Kuss Brothers to my favorites.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

FINALLY I got to Rowlands! I liked it! It's a little confusing at first, I wasn't sure if I was pulling into someone's front yard or not, but I was surprised by the plants they had.

I was a little late for annuals, but I did pick out a few. Prices were great and there were some really special things here and there. I got a basket of scaveola for 9.50 and a varieg. geranium (1.50) and also a couple other small pots for cheap. The shrubs and trees were bargains, all reasonably priced and looking good. I was eyeing a pink snowbell tree (styrax) for like $35, and some large purple smokebushes for under 20. I'll be back if I need bushes, and I'll get there earlier next year for annuals!

Also stopped by Raves.... very large. Looked like it was a storage spot for all their landscaping supplies. Very nice large plants, but the prices were up there. I don't have 300 dollars for a jap maple..
    The perennials looked great but most were $13 a piece and up. I was only tempted by a huge delphinium that I know I will regret not buying in a few weeks.
    Of course I stopped in at Dundee and perennial point too, maybe that's why I got nothing done in the yard yesterday :)
    Kato

• nick_17815_pa
    18 years ago

I thought I'd try to start this thread back up with an added question. What nurseries have you been to where you can find smaller potted plants at good prices. A lot of nurseries that I've been to just have big gallon potted plants for $10+ and thats it. I wouldn't mind driving a bit if I knew of a place with good priced perennials.
    :o)

• katybird_PA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Nick for bumping this back up. I was never able to make it out to my favorite nurseries last year let alone check out any new ones. It was a tough summer that ended with the loss of my father to lung cancer.
    This year I am dealing with the weeds, and general havoc in my gardens as a result of last summers neglect.

• nick_17815_pa
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear about your dad katybird. I know what you mean about it being a tough summer, even I was ready for fall last year. I have big plans for this year :o)

I'm hopefully heading out to one of my favorite nurseries tomorrow. Now sure what they have in stock this time of the year, it'll be the first time I've been there this early :o)
    Bailey's Farm Market in Shamokin Dam (near Selinsgrove)
    They're priced really good, and every now and then I'll find something there I won't anywhere else.

• nick_17815_pa
    17 years ago

$37 Baileys

1 Gerber Daisy
    2pk Mallow
    1 chicks and hens (red)
    1 chicks and hens (fingers)
    3 pk Delphinium (magic fountain)
    2 pk Foxglove
    3 pk Iceland Poppy
    1 Pepper (king arthur - bell)
    1 clump purple knight alternanthera
    1 clump brass buttons
    9 pk Coleus
    (2) 9pks marigolds
    6 pk Begonias
    6 pk Nicotiana (domino purple)
    6 pk Calendula
    4pk (opps lost the tag and foregot its name)
    4pk (another opps lost the tag and foregot its name)

http://geocities.com/nickb5/5-5-06-1of2.jpg
    http://geocities.com/nickb5/5-5-06-2of2.jpg
    http://geocities.com/nickb5/5-5-06-unknowns.jpg

• queenpalm7
    17 years ago

Hello, I'm new to NEPA. I'm happy to have found this site.
    I live near Hazleton, Wilkes Barre areas and would like to know of nurseries I can browse in. Willing to do some traveling to find interesting nurseries.
    Thanks

• summer66 D
    17 years ago

Hello,

I was on my way home from Allentown yesterday and passed Petritsch Garden Center on Route 309, just slightly north of the Rt. 895 intersection. Didn't get a whole lot of time to look since it was near closing time, but the plants were beautiful. Had time to buy 6 azaleas - gallon size I believe - at $ 7.98 each. They were very healthly looking. I plan on going back soon when I have more time to look around.

• rsmallen
    17 years ago

I juast picked up a bunch of small (REALLY nice) pots (3 inch) for $3.99 at Hickory Grove Greenhouses in Catasaqua Pa....one of my favorite locals.

Robin

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    17 years ago

*sigh* If gas prices weren't killing me like they are I would try some of these longer distance nurseries..... but as it is, I got out to Rowlands and Kettel's last weekend and picked up a few goodies all at what I thought were decent prices.

I still save my best plant dollars for Perennial Point down near Wilkes Barre. I can always find something amazing there and the prices aren't too bad considering what you get..... I do steer away from the bigger pots of perennials though. I figure save a coupe bucks, go small and wait a year for it to grow.

• nick_17815_pa
    17 years ago

Perennial Point...I'll have to take a drive up there sometime and check it out. What kind of selection do they have there?
    Maybe next time I'm up in that area, it shows 50minute travel time to get there.

• buddygrower
    15 years ago

I go to mountainside nursery very nice people they are exit 284 of I-80 south on 115 1/4 mile red billboard very nice people and very cheap prices. Should check them out.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville