Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeffyrose

Wanted to share some azaleas--

zeffyrose
14 years ago

They are so beautiful now----the white is Delaware Valley white and the one that looks pink is Appleblossom

About 20 years ago my DH enjoyed propagating azaleas---we now have well over 100 and many more that he gave away---

I love the very fragrant pale lavender it is called Poukenensis (SP)and very fragrant

{{gwi:270548}}

{{gwi:218600}}

{{gwi:269607}}

{{gwi:203794}}

these are a little younger plants--

{{gwi:261372}}

and a favorite Rhodie

{{gwi:264125}}

Kerria--

{{gwi:1109438}}

Just wanted to share Hope you enjoyed them

Florence

Comments (9)

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I drove past your house the other day and it was just breathtaking! Thanks for sharing your photos with all the unfortunate people that don't live close enough to drive past.

And we HAVE to get together whent he roses are blooming :-)

Happy Spring Florence!

Alexa

• ajpa
    14 years ago

Those are so beautiful!

I would love to have those kind of azaleas.
    Are they evergreen azaleas?

I have a couple of azaleas that the builder put in way back but they are scraggly and don't get completely covered with blooms. I keep eyeing the azaleas at lowes, hoping they'll get marked down so I can get one (shoestring budget). How does one tell which azaleas will get completely bloom covered?

• earthlydelights
    14 years ago

florence, they are absolutely stunning. i love azalea's and havng them lining my property line on the south side of my house. i am eyeing an orange one on two properties that i drive by on occasion and i keep thinking that in the dead of night, i'm going to get me a "sample" and propagate one. i have also seen them in yellow. i love that you keep them natural. my neighbor prunes and shapes (if you want to call it that) his and they make me cringe.

i have never heard of kerria. as a matter of fact, i don't think i've ever seen it either. that is just gorgeous.

thanks ever so much for sharing. just lovely pictures.

maryanne

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Caliloo---Please stop in the next time you drive by-----I love to see poeple stop in------as long as I don't have to clean the house----LOL

AJPA---DH says most of these Azaleas are evergreen----and some also have beautiful fall color--

Maryanne---I also shudder when I see beautiful plants pruned and shaped into balls and boxes---UGH----

Kerria is in the rose family----very easy to grow---spreads a lot----My son's Perennial Farm carries a double Kerria that is also very pretty----

Happy you all enjoyed the pictures----

some roses are starting to bloom---whooppee

Florence-

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    14 years ago

Some people around here shape their forsythias and they look awful -- so much nicer just growing free. And they make such nice screens when they're a few years old.

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

Of course these are just opinions. Everyone looks at gardening differently, I shape and prune my Azaleas and Forsythia because that is the way I like them, if I was of the same mind, I might say that those that don't prune and shape are just lazy gardeners, but then I would be committing the same elitist offense as you, so I prefer to take the " to each his own " approach and don't try to belittle anyone else's technique, if they like it, that should be all that matters.

• rosiegirl_z10
    14 years ago

nhlivefreeordie...

You are right.. each to his own. However, having either opinion makes neither one of you an elitist. It is just what you like.. ... ;) Also, Florence is recovering from hip surgery so calling someone a lazy gardener when you don't have all the facts is a low blow, IMHO.

Florence.. you know I love your garden and hope your hip and back get better, soon.

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

Quote: Also, Florence is recovering from hip surgery so calling someone a lazy gardener when you don't have all the facts is a low blow, IMHO.

You mean like calling those horrible who decide to prune or sheer? I think I can see that now, and if you read ALL of my post you would see that I was not calling anyone anything, I was making a comparison to illustrate how ludicrous it was to make the post about sheering being horrible in the first place, there is room for everyones taste, that is what gardening should be, how boring would it be if everyone used the same techniques?

• rosiegirl_z10
    14 years ago

nh.. are you from N.H. or Pa?

I'm glad that you have what you want in your garden. They were making the same comparison .. just an opposite comparison of what you like.

I think you did the original name-calling.. and I'm bowing out.. they didn't call you an OCD gardener.. just stated that in general they don't like the clipped look.

Have a wonderful 4th of July!

Sponsored