Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebsandee

id seedling in wooded area

rebsandee
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am new to the area and this is my first post. We have a half-wooded yard and these seedlings popped up all over the place this spring. Does anyone know what they are?

http://picasaweb.google.com/rebsandee/IdPlant/photo#5068245374755031250

thanks in advance,

Rebecca

Comments (8)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's jewelweed. It's a native annual that grown in damp areas.
    Also:
    "Jewelweed contains two methoxy-1, four napthoquinineÂan anti-inflammatory and fungicide thatÂs the active ingredient of Preparation H." -this is off the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: jewelweed

• scrappyjack
    16 years ago

I agree, it looks like jewelweed. I was told that it grows near "jagger" bushes, because it is a natural plant used on scratches and insect bites.

Jewelweed grows about 12 - 18" high, and has an orange "horn" shaped flower.

Jackie

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Yep - I think it is jewelweed too. However I am LOLing at the 12" - 18" height estimate! The stuff at the edge of my yard where the woods start is well over my head by the end of summer and I am 5'6"

Alexa

• firstkim
    16 years ago

The "jagger" bush that jewelweed frequently grows near is stinging nettle. Rubbing jewelweed leaves on the affected area after you've been "stung" does mitigate the effect (personal experience speaking here), but it's better to know what the stinging nettle looks like and avoid it in the first place. For some reason, I keep getting a "message rejected" error when I try to plug in a URL to show a picture of a stinging nettle plant, but if you go to Google and click on "images," then plug in the words "stinging nettle," you'll see plenty of pictures of what to avoid.

BTW - On the "message preview" page, if you scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll see the place you can add a link to your original message when you're starting a thread (if you're not having the same problem I am).

• rebsandee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much! After looking at the link, I am sure that it is jewelweed. I've got it everywhere- I'm relieved it is an annual and not thousands of tree seedlings that I have to pull.

Rebecca

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

It blooms in the late summer, early fall, and the flowers are very pretty and the seeds are lots of fun to play with. There are a couple of varieties, some larger than others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jewelweed

• fusty_overalls
    16 years ago

Jewelweed gets cute little yellow or orange flowers on it then, the seed pods which look like little fat pea pods. When the seed pods are ripe, if you touch them, they *spring* open and shoot the seeds all over...thats why you have lots of the seedlings everywhere. I loved playing wiht them as a kid and, i loved that their juice helped the poison ivy itch I usually got right after going into the woods to play with them.

• Pipersville_Carol
    16 years ago

Jewelweed really does work for poison ivy. Just crush it up and rub wherever the poison ivy touched you.

I think it's in the impatien family.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting