Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gidget68_gw

Magnolia tree

Gidget68
9 years ago

I would like to plant a magnolia tree in southwestern Pennsylvania I live in the Laurel Highlands and would like your input does anyone think it is possible? Thanks

Comments (11)

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I am in between Uniontown and Smock Pa. I have successfully grown the Evergreen Magnolia Grandifolia or grandiflora, not sure of the correct name. I am zone 6. I think the mountains are zone 5 or 5b. The deciduous Magnolias likely can be found in zone 5. If you want an evergreen Mag, I would bet that some protection when young. Maybe some breathable wrap or straw would help overwinter the evergreen Mags. If we have a winter like the last one protection is likely needed, but most winters aren't that brutal. Check out the Mags that are out there, hopefully you find one you like, that can take zone 5 or 5b. There are some cultivars of Evergreen Mags that are rated zone 5 or 5b hardy.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Gidget68, My evergreen Mags, are putting out leaves. The Bracken's brown beauty I thought died is alive and well. The top bud died though. I just need to prune back to the good leader branch. It was rated zone 5 anyway. My Southern (evergreen) Mag is fine with no damage. Last winter was a SUPER B*TCH of a winter. So you may normally be okay with some mags, and have die-back with winters like this ,last one. Does the word Tissue mean anything to you? If not I have the wrong Gidget. I thought I may know you. If not I'm sorry.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Gidget68, If you know the word Tissue etc, and I know you don't be spooked I graduated with you and am female. If you don't know me fine, but I don't want you to be scared some axe murderer knows you etc.

• eibren
    9 years ago

Edith Bogue is one cultivar that could be tried. I have had one growing in my garden for several years now, with a Southern exposure and wind protection from my house.

Last year it finally put out one magnolia blossom. It would probably be doing even better if it were not shaded by a tulip poplar and a row of hemlocks planted years ago by a former neighbor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google source list

• bulldinkie
    9 years ago

Iasked about it at the nursery they said yes theres one that does great in Pa.I want one to use some leaves for decorating my mantles on Christmas ...

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

I have a Jane that suffered zero dieback in the Polar Vortex. It not only bloomed well but has grown more than it did previous 3 years.

Should protect overwinter buds from deer if low-growing. I just spray liquid fence year round, as they eat stuff like flower buds and some more succulent evergreens like euonymus.

• User
    9 years ago

'Jane' Magnolia is a deciduous magnolia. Magnolia grandiflora is evergreen (of which there are numerous cultivars which can differ in terms of cold hardiness, snow load tolerances, ultimate height and width, form, and flower size, etc.) Zone 6b is about the northern limit for the southern, M. grandiflora. Deciduous magnolias such as get Saucer magnolia or Star Magnolia should be hardy to Zone 5. If you are a milder Zone 6 or higher, and want to try an evergreen species, I would suggest M. grandiflora 'Edith Bogue', or M.g. 'Victoria', neither showed any damage from the 'polar vortexes' and both have good snow load tolerances. I would add the Magnolias are almost deer proof. I have herds running through here and they never eat anything off them...even when we were covered in three feet of snow! But!, they LOVE rutting them in the Fall if there is exposed trunk. (Magnolia wood is soft and bucks prefer them.) That is why I let them keep their natural habit with low branches down to the ground! Euonymus, on the other hand, they love to eat. I keep moving my japonica to find a safe space.
    LOL

P.S., I shot this photo earlier today. Not sure of the culivar, but not the greatest for snow load issues, which here, is more important than cold as snows tend to be very heavy and WET.

• poaky1
    8 years ago

To the OP, I thought I may have known you. Sorry if I freaked you out, I graduated in the year of 1988 at Laurel Highlands High school. Anyways the Magnolia Grandiflora is indeed hardy in zone 6 Pa. If you live up the mountains, it just may not be hardy, but, if you protect the tree, it may be okay in milder winters or if you help the tree with lights that put off some heat in the winter.

• frankle25
    last year

@rockman50 I believe we live in the same town and would love to hear about how your magnolia is doing. If you see this and wouldn't mind connecting, please like and I'll share my contact email.

• poaky1
    last year

My Mag is still doing great in my zone 6a hardy winters in Pa. I got flowers and seedpods last year. I'll be trying to grow a couple from seed after it seeds out again in fall/ winter.

Sponsored