Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID this plant -- weed or flower or somewhere in between?

Posted by mrzeigler none (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 20:51

I moved into a new house two years ago. Last spring, I asked a friend if she recognized a plant that was springing up in a prime garden location. It seemed familiar, she said, but she said it struck her as a plant some people liked because it was indigenous to the zone but most likely considered a weed by most gardeners.

Fast forward a year. I've been too busy to weed this section of the garden, and now I see that the plant has grown back in the same spot and now has some pretty large flower buds on it. The little brown ants are loving crawling all over those flower buds.

I posted some photos of the plant here: my blog.

Zone 5, western Pennsylvania. Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID this plant -- weed or flower or somewhere in between?

It's a peony. Google for some images and see if you want to keep it.... I'm going to guess you will. They bloom in early summer, require little care and the foliage will look pretty good most of the year. They make nice cut flowers and if you don't cut them you might have to stake since the blooms get floppy.

o
RE: Help ID this plant -- weed or flower or somewhere in between?

Thanks, Kato ...

Of course, I didn't ID the plant until I ordered a tree peony for a space about 8 feet away from it!

Looking forward to see what color its bloom is. From the coloration of the bud, it looks like it's going to be a peachy or cream color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here