Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic vs chemical fertilizer

Posted by ladybug80 6a (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 21:30

I mixed dehydrated manure into my soil as fertilizer for my flowers, herbs, and vegetables. Is it worth it to drop chemical fertilizer granules into the soil also? I read that tomatoes do well with chemical fertilizer, but I'm not sure if I should add it to them or my other plants. Can anyone give me some advice or information concerning this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic vs chemical fertilizer

Before you fertilize I'd recommend a soil test, especially for vegetable gardens so you will know exactly which nutrients your soil is lacking. This way you can add the appropriate organic fertilizer necessary. I like to say you get out of your garden what you put into it...in other words if you want organically grown vegetables use organic fertizers and if you want chemically grown vegetables use chemical fertizers. Plants really don't know the difference and they will take up what nutrients they need. But if a certain nutrient is missing that is needed for the plant to take up another that could be a problem, that is why soil tests are so important.

o

Also, the soil test will tell you ph. I believe the ph is important because it can inhibit the uptake of certain nutrients. Meaning that even if the nutrient is in the soil, the plant is unable to use it.

Penn State Extension does soil tests for about $9 (I think) I will put the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Penn State Extension Soil Lab

o

Thank you both! Will somebody come to my house to perform the soil test or will I receive a testing kit to take care of myself?

o

You can have more information about chemical fertilize for tomatoes on Haifa'site:

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato plant fertilizer

o

Some chemical ferts have salts in them that organic ones don't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here